X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to disable 'Square' Type thing over desktopicons

Hi all,

When I have desktop icons and I place the mouse cursor over them, it's like a square transparent thingy with a close
    button and such. How do i remove/disable it ?

Thanks in advance - Mark

P.S. I am using Kubuntu 12.04

That I know of, the only way to do it is to lock the desktop widgets. You can do this either by clicking on the "cashew" in the upper right corner of the screen, or at the lower right corner of the panel. Right clicking on either of these will bring up a menu, and "lock widgets" is one of the choices. Once you do this, you will not be able to modify the items in the panel or on the desktop until you unlock them, using the same procedure.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

You can also right-click on the Desktop, choose "Desktop Settings", and then change the Layout to "Folder View" instead of Desktop. This will treat the Desktop more like a Folder, and you can drag programs off the menu to make shortcuts on the Desktop. You won't get the plasma control edge then.

I'm new to Kubuntu also, after using Ubuntu for a few years...there are sooo many different options! It's mind-boggling. I'm still trying to wrap my head around Activities, which are quite revolutionary (if only I can figure out how to use them efficiently!).

Comment

Originally posted by practic View Post
        I'm new to Kubuntu also, after using Ubuntu for a few years...there are sooo many different options! It's mind-boggling. I'm still trying to wrap my head around Activities, which are quite revolutionary (if only I can figure out how to use them efficiently!).
        Let us know if you do! I've tried for a while but currently I'm happy with old-fashioned virtual desktops.

And welcome to kfn!
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

practic:

I make partial use of activities. I use 6 desktops, and I have them set to folder view. This allows me a different wallpaper for each desktop, and different desktop icons for each desktop as well. I 'color code' my desktops / activities, with a blue background for Online, a green one for Word Precessing, a yellow one for File Management, a pink one for Virtual Machines, an orange one for Miscellaneous, and a Purple one for Graphics. I've done that for years, even with KDE3. However, in KDE3, you had the SAME icons on every desktop. With the setup I have, I put different icons on each desktop according to what I do in the desktop. It works for me.

As to creating and removing 'activities' according to need, I haven't done that, but I can see where it would be useful for a project of some sort, like video editing, that is going to take some weeks to complete, and that is not done often. One could litter that desktop with all kinds of file links, and not mess up any other desktops.

Frank.
          Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Working...
          X