X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UBI-console-setup crashed Dual-boot Vista - Kubuntu 12.10 64 bit

Toshiba Satelite A505
    ACPI x64-based PC
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz, 2000Mhz, 2 Core(s) 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date 9/3/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
    User Name steve-PC\steve
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 633 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    DVD/CD-ROM drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GA10F
    Video Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series
    HDD TOSHIBA MK5055GSX

I want to install a dual-boot system. Curently the operating system is Vista Sp2. I want to include Kubuntu 12.10. I do not want to install it in a Virtual Machine.

Here is what I have done so far, before having a problem.

I opened the computer in 'safe mode' and resized the main partition. I created about 135 GB of space.
    I installed the Kubuntu LiveCD and began the installation. When I got to the partitioning portion of installation, I made a swap partition 8 GB and using Ext4, I made a bootable remainder of the unused space for the installation of Kubuntu. Everything went fine until I clicked on install.

The following error message appeared. "UBI-console-setup crashed.

UBI-console-setup failed with exit code 141. Further information may be found in /var/lolg. Do you want to try running this step again before continuing? If you do not, your installation may fail entirely or may be broken.

|Retry| |Ignore| |Close|

At this point I decided to get some help. If I continued to attempt to install Kubuntu, how probable is the system fail or what kind of damage could ensue? Would it be confined to the partition I am attempting to install Kubuntu only. If failed or ?broken, is the damaged space recoverable with a format of the space?

How can I correct the problem that created the Error message and continue the install?

I reinstalled the Operating system and things seem OK again. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 20, 2012, 10:27 PM.

I would quit the install at this point and do a few things in windows first!!

1-did you restart windows after making the 135Gigs of free space to make sure you could?
    2-if you can restart windows run chkdsk on it before you do anything else !! my preferred regiment for doing what you did is to first run chkdsk once then defrag then chkdsk agin then shrink the windows drive then run chkdsk once more , over kill ,,,maby ? but never had a problem doing it that way
    3-once you know windows is ok make a Gparted or parted magic live cd or usb and use that to create the partitions you want/need in the free space on the drive !!
    then do the install of Kubuntu and point the installer to the partitions you made with Gparted/parted magic,,, wile on that page of the installer make sure you point the grub installer (boot loader ) to the MBR or/of /sda if sda is your primary drive (it's a drop down box at the bottom of the page)

one more thing if you don’t have a network connection wile using the kubuntu live cd/usb do not check the boxes that ask if you want to install updates and non free software during the install

good luck

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Dear Vinny,

I am pretty sure that I have already done most of what you suggest, excepting running chkdsk, partitioning with gparted, (I thought the partition application in Kubuntu install was gparted), and I think your recommendation about pointing the boot loader to /sda happened when I set the balance of space for Kubuntu. If I remember correctly, I did not create a separate partition for boot and the balance of space. I really want that, so if I am able to create a partition for the boot, I will.

When I attempted the install, the partitions seemed securely in place. Windows Computer Management reported in "Disk Management" the following for HDD space:

1.46gb Healthy (EISA Configuration)
      318.62gb NTFS Healthy System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition
      13.97gb Healthy (Primary Partition) (Swap Partition)
      121.46gb Healthy (Primary Partition) Boot and Storage
      10.24gb Healthy (Primary Partition) This area was in the drive prior to changes made for Kubuntu, so I don't know what it is for. I believe it is empty, but I am not sure.

When I attempt to partition the drive on the next attempt at install, I intend making a 15gb boot partition for kubuntu and resize the swap parttion to 8gb. Before that, I will run chkdsk and confirm how the MBR was setup.

You are very kind to help me. As you can see, I am not the most knowledgeable, but hopefully I will get it right eventually. With you help, of course.

Comment

A boot partition is not nesesary and may just over complacate things for you ...
        I would say just install the hole system to the 121.46gb partition .....but 13.97gb is a bit over kill for swap!!
        MBR is the master boot record for the hard drive and where the boot loader (grub) should go!! chkdsk wont tell you anything about it!!
        Gparted is a partitioning program that is used to pre partition you hard drive and I suggested to use it because the errors you got were probably from the installers partitioner (partman) not working right .......I never use it to partition a hard drive I do it before installing with a Gparted live cd

if you could fire up the Kubuntu live cd/usb and run "sudo fdisk -l" (thats a lower case L) and see what it sees your drive as and post that hear.

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Dear Vinny,

I checked the install disks for errors twice and got an OK both thimes. I used Gparted and did what you suggested, however, near the end of the install, it crashed. I sent a report to the developers, but I am not sure what kind of damage I created with the crash. Windows bootd and works. Thank GOD, because I did not want a total failure.

I am considering trying to install 12.04 to see if my luck changes, but before that I will try to get an fdisk -l for your perusal. Thanks for your patience, I am still hopeful I will succeed.

Vista is being a nightmare for me. 7 virus', 2 that required a system repair. Now after just about a day with a repaired system, I installed some of the applications that did not get restored, because I went all the way back to the original install, I have some kind of infection already. The infection is called "start.search.us.com. It is tenatious.

If I can get kubuntu into my laptop, I will use it almost exclusively except for a couple of things I that don't work very well on Linux distributions.

I have always used Google for my home page, and uncluttered. Now in the Firefox browser, I have a company diverting to their page; I can't seem to get rid of it either, so I am going to live with Internet Explorer. Firefox has worked better for me with Internet videos.

I would like to download Spybot, but every download site includes an additional download that I don't trust. Do you know of a safe download location for 'Spybot'? I don't want to spend any more money on a microsoft related application.

Oh well. The average computer operator lives with this stuff and doesn't realize the free competition is better in almost everything and free to boot.

Anyway, cudos and gracias, my friend. Shabakthanai

Comment

yes I would go with kubutu-12.04 ,,,,12.10 is not in release form yet .......

you may want to try Avast anti virus free I use it on the wife's win-7 box http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-...=dl&tag=button

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Dear Vinny,

Thanks for your time a patience. I recently found out that the HDD in my laptop is defective and must be replaced. I am awaiting the container to send it to Toshiba right now. Sorry I did not update you sooner. I suspect I will be able to install the dual-boot system unassisted when the computer is returned. It is a task I have done before. I think the problems I was having related to the HDD problem. Sorry to have wasted your valuable time. Cudos, friend. Shabakthanai

Comment

To repair Windows I suggest you use BitDeffender ISO file:

1. Download the ISO file
                2. Burn it as image on a CD or USB
                3. Restart and boot from CD/USB
                4. Check you have Internet connection and then select the checkbox (I agree) and then continue
                5. Wait BitDeffender to do his work
                6. Restart in windows and enjoy

Comment

Working...
                X