Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon Printer now won't print bottom of page.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon Printer now won't print bottom of page.

The title just about says it all. I get all but the last 20mm or so.

Up to Wednesday, printing worked fine. Yesterday onwards, it doesn't.

It's Kubuntu 12.04, 64bit, printing via CUPS/Gutenprint V5.2.8 to a Canon MP270. I install the recommended updates every morning

I thought it was only LibreOffice, but all printing seems affected, eg printing PDFs via Okular (?)
    I thought it might be a mismatch between paper sizes (eg US letter and ISO A4), but the printer settings clearly state A4. As does LO
    I tried deleting and re-installing the printer, no change.
    I've checked that my locale (Kubuntu and LO) states United Kingdom, and my language is UK English

I'm stuck.

Can anybody help me out, here?

Thanks

UPDATE

I tried installing a new printer. Same H/W, same USB port, but using the 32 bit driver I used before I went 64 bit - it's the official Canon driver. The original set-up used the driver provided by CUPS. The printer worked, but STILL missed off the bottom 20mm or so.

Back with the original set-up, I also tried shrinking a PDF image to use, say, only the top 3/4 of an A4 sheet. Should have solved the problem if the printer thought it was loaded with shorter paper, such as American Letter. Same problem - bottom 5-10% of the image was missing.

Seems like whatever is sending the "image" of the page to be printed is truncating it. Whatever it is?

Cheers
    Last edited by jollyjack; Aug 04, 2012, 07:20 AM.

I think it was this last Thursday the CUPS upgrade came in and my Brother all in one is still working fine. With Canon printers not so high on the Linux printer
    friendly list, the first thing I would do is, remove the printer completely from the system, do a restart, then reload the 64 Bit driver, it will have the needed 32 bit
    drivers in it.
    A good tool to use when working with printers is the web base CUPS program at http://localhost:631/printers, if you have not used it before. It is the easy to use and
    will remove the printer from the system. Maybe a quick Google of your printer for use with Linux may also give you some hints of how to get it working right again.

Comment

zeeone, many thanks for the reply, and the advice.

It seems that other people are also having problems with CUPS, since that upgrade, so a bug report has been submitted. I think I will wait and see what comes of that.

Again, thanks
      Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 06, 2012, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I know Kubuntu is pretty fast at fixing bug reports and getting the fix out however, the last upgrade just may of over written something and the reload will fix it. Good practice.

Comment

Solved

Originally posted by zeeone View Post
          I know Kubuntu is pretty fast at fixing bug reports and getting the fix out however, the last upgrade just may of over written something and the reload will fix it. Good practice.

You're right, zeeone, it's usually a good thing to do. This time, unfortunately, it made no improvement. However, they've just produced a temporary fix, which seems to solve the problem.

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X