This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't mount cdrom after vmware installed

I'm lost the ability to mount my cdrom drive in either my host or guest OS. I installed VMware Player within my Kubuntu 12.04 LTS OS. After which I installed WinXP as a virtual OS . I was originally able to use the cdrom in either WinXP or Kubuntu, switching between the two by means of a toggle built into VMware Player (via CD icon in bottom-right corner or File Menu > Virtual Machine > Removable Devices > CD/DVD (IDE) > /dev/sr0 or /dev/cdrom)

Unfortunately I think one of the two below instances may have broken my cdrom mount point when a media cd is inserted:

1) I lost power/rebooted while I was using the virtual WinXP OS, and it had the cdrom drive mounted.
    2) When I plugged in an additional internal 1TB HDD it mounted, but I could not write to the disk. Hence, I determined it was because root took ownership of it. I then input these commands to retake control of it
    Code:
    chown -R user *
    chown -R user .
    It resolved the issue and now I can write to the 1TB HDD. I'm trying to see if I can't re-mount my cdrom drive so I can use within the host and guest OS. Any assistance is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

My relevant hardware is as follows:
    1x cdrom drive ==>
    1x SSD (host OS & all mount flags?) - formatted to ext4 ==> /dev/sda1
    1x HDD - formatted to ext4 w/ no boot flags(?) ==> /media/sdb1

Here's my mount output
    Code:
    /dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
    tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
    none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
    none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    /dev/sdb1 on /media/sdb1 type ext4 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    /home/paul/.Private on /home/paul type ecryptfs (ecryptfs_check_dev_ruid,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_key_bytes=16,ecryptfs_unlink_sigs,ecryptfs_sig=682470319a02235e,ecryptfs_fnek_sig=3498e8be2c92771c)
    vmware-vmblock on /run/vmblock-fuse type fuse.vmware-vmblock (rw,nosuid,nodev,default_permissions,allow_other)
    Here's my /etc/fstab (I'm not sure it's even helpful...)
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc                                        /proc        proc  nodev,noexec,nosuid  0  0  
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=cc62e445-3e5d-4bce-a2fd-04372b061e03   /            ext4  errors=remount-ro    0  1  
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    #UUID=8fd889bd-e3fa-40b0-a813-714a5b188c89  none         swap  sw                   0  0  
    /dev/mapper/cryptswap1                      none         swap  sw                   0  0  
    /dev/sdb1                                   /media/sdb1  ext4  user                 0  0
    Any suggestions?

Apologies in advance for replying without being able to offer any help with your optical drive problem... however:

From looking at your /etc/fstab file, and keeping in mind that you said /dev/sda is an SSD, I'd recommend adding discard and noatime to the mount options for that drive. Just modify the relevant line, as below.

Code:
    UUID=cc62e445-3e5d-4bce-a2fd-04372b061e03   /            ext4  discard,noatime,errors=remount-ro    0  1
    Option 'discard' enables TRIM support, and 'noatime' disables a lot of (IMO) unnecessary writing of access time metadata for that drive, and both those things can increase the life span of SSDs. I use those options on my own SSD.
    Last edited by HalationEffect; Jul 23, 2012, 09:07 PM.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Possibly resolved, confirmation forthcoming

Possibly resolved (confirmation forthcoming after reboot)...my PC went to sleep last night and when I rebooted it this morning I got a display error (see pictures below), I then reboot and got a GRUB error (below as well). I thought, well when it rains, it pour. So I attempted a reboot again, to no avail. I then thought it was a BIOS/boot-sequence issue. That was weird seeing as I have a new motherboard (mobo) battery and did not lose power last night, but I might as well investigate in the BIOS. Sure enough the cdrom drive was listed as the last boot operation. I switched it to the first and made sure that my OS SSD (sda1, flag /) was the second boot option. I saved my settings and rebooted. Mind you I had the Kubuntu CD in the cdrom drive just to see if I needed to do a liveCD repair of GRUB. Then everything worked...it booted to the liveCD initialize menu, I then selected something along the lines of "attempt to boot to hard disk" and my OS booted up. I got excited to see that the CD drive was working and upon investigation within Kubuntu, all was well in the land of Linux. Below is my related fstab and mount output while I was in the OS with a working CD drive.

I'm writing this while I'm logged in for the first time, hence I'm going to reboot to incorporate HalationEffect's comments into my fstab for TRIM usage and SSD longevity. Here's hoping nothing fubars itself during this reboot.

Side note: I'm a n00b to this forum and don't quite know how to resize images. So I'm inserting the smaller (640px width versions), but a fullsize 8.0MP version is linked below them respectively.

Bigger version of sleep/wake error.

Bigger version of GRUB error.

Here's the unaltered /etc/fstab file after the issue was resolved-
      Code:
      #
      #
      proc                                        /proc        proc  nodev,noexec,nosuid  0  0  
      UUID=cc62e445-3e5d-4bce-a2fd-04372b061e03   /            ext4  errors=remount-ro    0  1  
      #UUID=8fd889bd-e3fa-40b0-a813-714a5b188c89  none         swap  sw                   0  0  
      /dev/mapper/cryptswap1                      none         swap  sw                   0  0  
      /dev/sdb1                                   /media/sdb1  ext4  user                 0  0
      Here's the updated /etc/fstab file per HalationEffect's feedback (thanks! a ton that was on my queue to-do once I got this one resolved!) -
      Code:
      #
      #
      UUID=cc62e445-3e5d-4bce-a2fd-04372b061e03   /            ext4  discard,noatime,errors=remount-ro    0  1  
      Here's the respective mount output -
      Code:
      /dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)                                                                                      
      binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)                                                    
      vmware-vmblock on /run/vmblock-fuse type fuse.vmware-vmblock (rw,nosuid,nodev,default_permissions,allow_other)                       
      /home/paul/.Private on /home/paul type ecryptfs (ecryptfs_check_dev_ruid,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_key_bytes=16,ecryptfs_unlink_sigs,ecryptfs_sig=682470319a02235e,ecryptfs_fnek_sig=3498e8be2c92771c)                                                                 
      /dev/sr0 on /media/Kubuntu 12.04 LTS amd64 type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500,uhelper=udisks)
      P.S. - Thank you forum autosave.

Comment

No dice, problem still exists...

Well the SSD works and boots fine, but the cdrom is not registering again Here's the mount and fstab again.

Mount output -
        Code:
        /dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,discard,errors=remount-ro)
        /etc/fstab
        Code:
        #
        #

Comment

Possibly pertinent

Here's my /etc/mtab if it helps -

Code:
          /dev/sda1 / ext4 rw,noatime,discard,errors=remount-ro 0 0
          proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
          sysfs /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
          none /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
          none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw 0 0
          none /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw 0 0
          udev /dev devtmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
          devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620 0 0
          tmpfs /run tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755 0 0
          none /run/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880 0 0
          none /run/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
          /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 ext4 rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
          binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
          vmware-vmblock /run/vmblock-fuse fuse.vmware-vmblock rw,nosuid,nodev,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
          /home/paul/.Private /home/paul ecryptfs ecryptfs_check_dev_ruid,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_key_bytes=16,ecryptfs_unlink_sigs,ecryptfs_sig=682470319a02235e,ecryptfs_fnek_sig=3498e8be2c92771c 0 0

Comment

Working...
          X