This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 3.5.4 media:/ doesn't show unmounted partitions when mounted

(Since this is neither software nor hardware only, I'm posting this here)

I know my title sounds a bit weird, but that's just exactly what I've noticed. After successfully upgrading to KDE 3.5.4, the media:/ KIO slave no longer shows unmounted media initially. Only those media that are mounted at boot are visible.

However, once you do mount those other unmounted partitions, they still do not appear in media:/, even if they do appear in the /media/ directory.

Removable media (CDs, USBs, etc.), on the other hand, still behave normally.

Is anyone having a similar problem?
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: KDE 3.5.4 media:/ doesn't show unmounted partitions when mounted

All my media, mounted or unmounted, fixed and removable are showing up in 3.5.4 pretty much the same way they showed up in 3.5.3,, but that may be because I use persistent names in my fstab. Can you isolate the problem to a specific subsystem?

Comment

A similar problem here. Before the upgrade on kde, I had set up my udev and fstab for my portable usb drive. When I went to Dapper and kde 3.5.3, it all worked perfectly, meaning that when I plugged in the drive, the kio media slave would see the drives and I would mount and umount them at will.

Now, under 3.5.4, when I attach the USB drive, the icons are seen, but I get a permissions error when trying to mount from the icons. I am able to mount them as user from the command line.

But when I boot with the USB already attached, the icons appear and the drive is mounted. And permissions are fine for user.

Not a large problem, but odd behavior.

Comment

I think the reason that I'm not seeing the problem may be that my usb drives are attached before I boot up. Whereas the problem seems to occur when media are plugged in after boot, if I'm interpreting the symptoms correctly. That would seem to point at something in the Hald, Hotplug, Ivman trio. I wiish I understood the interaction among those components.

Comment

i'm having a similar problem with my digital camera (one that i use also as a "thumb drive"). it fails to mount. dmesg says NLS IO charset 8859-1 not found..

i think my problem is linux kernel related. this only happens in 2.6.17.7. mounting go fine in 2.6.16. it's a hassle to need to have to reboot everytime i take pictures off the camera.

Comment

@askrieger: it may or may not be my fstab, because I experience the same thing even in MEPIS 6 after upgrading it to KDE 3.5.4 (before I accidentally messed up the kernel...)

I haven't tried any USB device yet, but CDs just mount fine. I'm assuming that this might be a HAL problem, since it's one of those things that they supposedly "fixed".

Take note that while the mounted partitions don't show up either in Konqueror (media:/) or on the desktop, they can still be accessed through /media. At least it does that for me.
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by randcoop
              A similar problem here. Before the upgrade on kde, I had set up my udev and fstab for my portable usb drive. When I went to Dapper and kde 3.5.3, it all worked perfectly, meaning that when I plugged in the drive, the kio media slave would see the drives and I would mount and umount them at will.

Now, under 3.5.4, when I attach the USB drive, the icons are seen, but I get a permissions error when trying to mount from the icons. I am able to mount them as user from the command line.

But when I boot with the USB already attached, the icons appear and the drive is mounted. And permissions are fine for user.

Not a large problem, but odd behavior.
              I am having the exact same problem with my portable WD Passport hard drive. It mounts normally if plugged in when the laptop starts and I can actually unmount it fine without any permissions errors. However, if I plug it in after the laptop is started or try to remount it after it was plugged in the kio mount slave won't let me. I can only get it remounted by going into system settings and re-enabling the drive under the drives section. This works but it's still a pain.

Were you ever able to fix this issue?

Comment

Working...
              X