Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me clarify: I figured to be through I would wait for further instructions to see if this is a sign of deeper system trouble, but if not I will gladly diagnose and repair this problems myself.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

would not system settings>user management work for you ?

a quick look at "man useradd" will tell you you should use "adduser" on Debian distributions like Kubuntu !!!

just a sudo adduser will walk you thru all the way to a password , if I remember right

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        would not system settings>user management work for you ?

a quick look at "man useradd" will tell you you should use "adduser" on Debian distributions like Kubuntu !!!

just a sudo adduser will walk you thru all the way to a password , if I remember right

VINNY
        I can't see why it wouldn't,but this is one task i have the habbit of using from a cli.

I typically find man pages are not as noob friendly as google.

As for adduser vs useradd, it was ages ago so maybe I typed it backwards but I am pretty sure adduser does not walk you all the way through on debian stable or ubuntu(precise) as I set up a basic multiuser ubuntu server the other week and do not recall being walked through passwd after creating the user, but then again it does run a modified openvz kernel(if memory serves me right) with(i guess) some sort of nx optimizations as it is listed as Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin + x2go on the servers distro installation cp.

I just never experienced this problem before so wanted to be thorough. Perhaps it was a simple case of getting the words switched around as I used to do some basic work on a CentOS server and VPS for a few years. I am headed to bed atm and will double check with addusr tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID2 Global
        Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

I don't even have to google:
          http://i.imgur.com/cMeMJ.png
          You can achieve the same effect with both commands, but the difference is in the defaults. Report back what happens if you use adduser
          sigpic

Comment

Not sure what you mean by the difference is in the defaults. I assume you mean that adduser and useradd execute different variables by default? I noticed you were right @vinnywright, adduser does walk you through. Perhaps I was using useradd when I was trying Debian and Ubuntu but in both cases it did automatically create the home dir. I wonder if sudo vs root played an issue as the root login has to be used by default on the Ubuntu distro offered by OVH(again it is customized)/

Anyways useradd/adduser aside, I created a new user and tested the find and extract service menu. I only tested it twice, but feel confident in reporting the system did not lock up at all while konsole was doing extraction. So where should we go from here?

Also, I have noticed that this really doesn't seem to happen with in any other apps now but it does happen when Vuze(and kTorrent) tries to do a hash check. Konquer and Amarok were culprits as well, but they seem to work much better since using your builds from git Sumski.
            Last edited by Xplorer4x4; Jul 09, 2012, 01:32 AM.

Comment

If i understand correctly, you experience hangs with new user, only when Vuze/KTorrent are checking the data? Or there are some other triggers?
              sigpic

Comment

No I did not experience any hang with a new user. I only experience system lock ups with my default user account. The system locking up basically seems to be related to any major activity on my HDDs such as extraction a single set of split rar archives, torrent hash checking, and well I can not think of any other particular events but it seems to be related to HDD activity on any HDD. I have not tested an extraction on my SSD which is my OS drive.

Comment

Update: Tested extraction of a 1+GB file on my SSD and experienced no freezes what so ever.

To break down the HDDs in my sig a bit more:
                  1 of the 1 TBs is a caviar green and the other is a caviar black. Both are SATAII drives.
                  1 of the 2TBs is a caviar black SATAII and the other is a caviar green but it is a SATAIII(3) HDD.

Comment

I thought the Xorg updates the other day had resolved the issue, but I was wrong. Any other ideas?

Comment

Am I missing a blatantly obvious solution since no one is bothering to help anymore? It is obviously a software issue, but how can I find what package could be causing the issue?

Comment

I guess the only step I can take now is to reinstall Kubuntu one more time before resorting to my Windows back up.

Comment

Have you looked the output of
                          Code:
                           dmesg
                          ?
                          Also, check ksysguard when you try to do some HDD activity, you can add aditional info's:
                          http://i.imgur.com/r7qWE.png
                          You can also change priority of procesess
                          Last edited by sumski; Jul 19, 2012, 05:30 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

dmesg:
                            [14789.752280] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdd] Unhandled error code
                            [14789.752281] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdd] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
                            [14789.752283] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdd] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 46 00 00 01 00
                            [14789.752286] end_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 70
                            I have a ton of these errors(well about 70). I am guessing you guys reading this will realize that the hostbyte changes a bit for each sector, and sector changes as well. I think that should be sufficient rather then a long pastebin full of the same error.

As for ksysguard, I looked at it before while doing extraction, and did not notice anything out of the ordinary, but I will double check it. ATM, when I use my "search for archives" service menu, konsole is not even showing up to do the out put.

Since the problem seems tied to I/O activity, I wonder if hot swapping my drives could be an issue. I use NTFS Tools to make sure HDDs auto mount but as best as I can recall, the problem was there before doing that. I might give my cheapo RAID card(one of those cheap $30 PCI(not PCI-X) another chance to avoid hot swapping but the driver support sucks and I believe it is built for a 2.X kernel not 3.X. It worked good on Win 7 until I did a format and clean install of windows(after a major hardware upgrade) and then it frequently prevented windows form booting past the windows logo screen. Maybe linux will play better with it. For what it's worth it's a Silicon Image 3124 chipset on the card. It is marketed as Rosewill brand, but shipped in a box that says I/O Crest.

That may be useless info, but just throwing out bits of information that may help pin point the problem...I honestly am thinking it may be worth a clean install and trying to slowly install and test or set up a VM for testing sake as I am still experimenting with applications a bit to fond which ones work best, if there is a Qt alternative to a GTK+ app,etc. I LOVE Kubuntu and really do not have a desire to switch back to Win, but atleast in Windows I can trouble shoot stuff on my own majority of the time as I have used it since the Win 3.1/DOS days(so I am not afraid of a little cli even though users barley need the dos type environment in windows these days.

Comment

That error is an indication of hardware issue, most likely your HDD('s) are smoked
                              Try to check them with MHDD, or some other utility
                              http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/
                              http://www.howtogeek.com/?post_type=post&p=37659
                              With ext4 filesystems you can blacklist bad blocks, don't know is it possible for NTFS
                              EDIT:
                              It *could* be a kernel issue, i would try live CD's with some other kernel versions (not necessary Kubuntu)
                              Also, it seems WD has some tools:
                              http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...fDesktop_Black
                              Last edited by sumski; Jul 19, 2012, 06:34 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

I will run the test(s) and get back to you shortly but I highly doubt all my HDDs and SSD are biting the dust at the same exact time. Also, right before abandoning windows, I know the health on all the HDDs was 100% and the SSD was at like a 93-95% acording to HDD Sentinel.

Comment

Working...
                                X