This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Programs Hang

I have tried resetting kwin to the default values (rm -fr ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc) and tried to reset plasma to defaults but I have some applications that tend to hang temporarily(Konquer) or in the case of Amarok it hangs after pretty much any action making it unusable. In the case of Amarok, I have tried Stable and the git build from KDE Goodies. Both experience the trouble. As far as Konquer goes, I have my home page set to my routers IP so the page load should be almost instant but yet it takes maybe 30 seconds before it finally pull up the page. Now during the these times I find the system as a whole still functions as I can to do anything else I want. In addition to simple freezing of apps, I do get an occasional complete system hang to. How should I proceed?

EDIT:Social Desktops hangs when I click on it to.
    Last edited by Xplorer4x4; Jun 29, 2012, 08:40 PM.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

What version of Kubuntu and what version of KDE?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I knew I was leaving out some important details, sorry. Kubuntu = Precise and KDE = 4.8.4.
      Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

I reset kwin again and started playing with windows effect one by one. It seems like the Focus->Slide Back is atleast one of the culprits.

Comment

I reset kwin once again and left everything alone except I disabled the translucent windows effect, but the issue seems to be getting worse. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Do you have issues with effects disabled altogether?
            Also, check .xsession-errors for any meaningful output, or paste here if you're uncertain what would be meaningful
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for replying sumski! I thought I posted an update about disabling effects, but guess not. I tried disabling them completely, yes, but it had no effect on the problem. I disabled it by going in to desktop effects in system settings and unchecking the box under activation. Today it suddenly seems worse then ever for some reason.

I am trying to pastebin it now, but I just realized...it is over 140,000 lines. I saved the log in to a 11MB txt file instead. I uploaded it to a file host:
              http://ifile.it/nhw6iy0/xsession-errors.txt

Not sure if it is related, but I am having to odd problems.(screenshot linked at end of post)
              1. I have the separator turned on for the "Icon Only Task Manager." I have the Konsole manual open but it is the length of 2 icons away from the separator but the 2 spaces are empty.
              2. I have a quick launcher set up for WinSCP which I have uninstalled as I dont need to use it anymore. Yet when I right click on it, and choose "Remove this icon" nothing happens.

http://imgur.com/H6lOe
              Last edited by Xplorer4x4; Jul 02, 2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Tried to download the file but:
                you need to have a premium account in order to download this file
                Altough the size itself is telling something's not right! Can you upload to some other (free) service?
                In the meanwhile, have you tried with another user?
                sigpic

Comment

RE: Premium File odd but here is a mediafire link http://www.mediafire.com/?mg7kd9ew7hniu3r

As for the size, yeah I could have told you that much

I have not tried another user. The only other user is root. I can test that if need be but I would rather get some feedback on the log first.

I saw a ton of errors from Vuze/Azereus, but I suspect that might be because I try to unload some of it's useless plug in features like DHT, Media Server, IRC, Ratings, etc. However, I am curious if Java and Iced Tea conflict. I installed Java for Aptana Studio 3, but Iced Tea should be sufficient shouldn't it?
                  Last edited by Xplorer4x4; Jul 02, 2012, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I meant that you create a new user, do not run KDE under root! On the first glance, i would blame Azereus, also i haven't used veromix, so don't know are those messages from that plasmoid harmless.
                    As for Aptana, it says
                    System Requirements

Tested with Ubuntu 9+, Fedora 12+
                    Requires Sun JDK
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't know how veromix got installed as apt reported plasma-widget-veromix was not installed. :s I went ahead and installed it to see if veromix functioned any differently but I plan to remove it and have a quick question. Does "apt-get remove --purge plasma-widget-veromix" truly purge the configuration files or is it better to use apt-get purge when removing packages?

Comment

Maybe you manually installed it? Those commands have the same effect. You can see is it installed with package manager with
                        Code:
                        dpkg -l | grep veromix
                        If it shows nothing, it's installed by hand.
                        a) Try quitting azereus to see do issues persist after that
                        b) try removing vermix
                        c) new user
                        sigpic

Comment

I know the commands but thanks anyways. I did quit Vuze and (knock on wood) the problems went away. I am going to hold out a little longer before starting it. If I rename the log file from earlier, will X automatically start a fresh log? Also, any ideas what is up with my task manager in the screen shot I posted?
                          Last edited by Xplorer4x4; Jul 02, 2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
                            I know the commands but thanks anyways. I did quit Vuze and (knock on wood) the problems went away. I am going to hold out a little longer before starting it. If I rename the log file from earlier, will X automatically start a fresh log? Also, any ideas what is up with my task manager in the screen shot I posted?
                            just a question or 2 ...........why Vuze when Ktorrent works so well with the KDE desktop?

and why on earth have a root user .......bad bad idea ?

as to the panel screen shot ...............looks pretty borked ........maybe right click the desktop and unlock widgets then right click an unused space on the panel then remove panel ....then right click the desktop and point at add panel and click default panel .

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                              just a question or 2 ...........why Vuze when Ktorrent works so well with the KDE desktop?
                              Well as you can see this is the "new guy" section......so thanks for keeping that in mind. Why do I use Vuze, well like a lot of people that post in here, I just came over from Windows. Now in windows, uTorrent and Vuze are the best known clients. I started off using Vuze ages ago before the name change, but it was to much of a resource hog for a P4 with 1 GB of RAM, and I became a uTorrent user and found that I loved it's "micro" concept. However, as you probably know, Bittorrent INC bought the rights to the client and kept uTorrent very "micro" back in the 2.X days. Then came uTorrent 3.X, and it was clear uTorrent was no longer trying to keep the minimalist approach. I figured if they are going to start adding tons of features I personally found useless, I would give Vuze a shot. As you can see, from my signature my specs are far beyond that of the P4 I once tried to use Vuze on and Vuze hardly put a dent in my system. It did eat up more RAM then uTorrent, but so what? Anyways I quickly realized Vuze was much more powerful and flexible then uTorrent. Now a week or two ago, I decided to make the jump! I dropped windows and dove head on in to Kubuntu hopping to get the help I needed when I needed and hopefully not deal with to many elitist unwilling to help some one willing to learn. Knowing that Vuze was an open source, cross-platform client, I already knew I would be using it when I jumped ship so I backed up my RSS Feed settings and caried them over to my Kubuntu install of Vuze as it would be a real pain to convert. If Vuze will not play nice, then I may make the switch but why give up on Vuze just yet when I have not even tried to trouble shoot it?

Short Version: I recently switched from windows. Vuze is an open source, cross platform client. It was only natural to utilize the same client I have known and used for some time now to make the transition easier.

and why on earth have a root user .......bad bad idea ?
                              Um.....because...it comes with the system...just because the account is there, does not mean it is a valid shell account.

as to the panel screen shot ...............looks pretty borked ........maybe right click the desktop and unlock widgets then right click an unused space on the panel then remove panel ....then right click the desktop and point at add panel and click default panel .
                              Neither the widgets nor the launchers were locked.

VINNY
                              Why do you post your name at the end of every post? Wouldn't it be a good idea to add it to your signature? And no this is not a personal attack, it is as honest of a question as you have asked. You have your specs and such in your signature as to not retype them every time you post right? So why not just add your name as well?

On a side note, was it really necessary to use.....in every sentence instead of typing normally?
                              Last edited by Xplorer4x4; Jul 02, 2012, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X