This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another adept problem

it was 2% into installing java, froze, i closed it (from the dropdown menu) and now when i try to open adept again i can't do it as root:

"You will not be able to change your system settings in any way (install, remove or upgrade software), because another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude). Please close the other application before using this one."

when i used apt-get update or when i tried to reinstall adept again from apt-get, i got:

"E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?"

suggestions? after i fix this, should i switch to synaptic? is there another, better package manager? thanks in advance.

-benner

Re: another adept problem

Try this:

Open up Konsole and type this in:
    Code:
    sudo killall adept
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Hope that helps.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

here's what happened:

"ben@ben-laptop:~$ sudo killall adept
      adept: no process killed
      ben@ben-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
      dpkg: status database area is locked by another process"

Comment

how about
        Code:
        sudo killall apt-get
        ?

To see which process is hogging dpkg, press Ctrl+Esc and look for either apt-get or adept or something similar (except adept-notifier, leave that little guy alone). once you get the name, kill it from the command line with the sudo killall command. Then run sudo dpkg --configure -a again.
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

that did it. thanks. ctl+esc very handy.

Comment

Ok, have fun!
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by benner
              it was 2% into installing java, froze, i closed it (from the dropdown menu) and now when i try to open adept again i can't do it as root:
              Were you trying to install Sun's java?

If so, you can't install it with adept, as adept can't show you the license agreement you need to accept...install with apt-get, aptitude or synaptic.

Comment

Working...
              X