X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

office 2010, winetrick and kubuntu 12.04 64bit

Hello again
    i'm using kubuntu x64 and just tried to install office 2010 on my system
    i've requested a trial copy from microsoft and at the moment i have a setup.exe file, not an ISO or image or DVD, so i can't use PlayOnLinux, as it requires a dvdrom and etc...

i used winetrick and then installed some packages that are required for office 2010:
    "./winetricks gdiplus riched20 riched30 msxml3 msxml4 msxml6 corefonts tahoma vb6run vcrun6 msi2"
    as my system is 64-bit, it couldn't install msxml6 from command and i had to install 64bit version manually from this address: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=24032

before installing winetrick and other stuffs, my system used to start installation and then face an error, but now it doesn't start installation and every time it says:
    "Setup is unable to proceed due to the following errors
    The installation of Microsoft Office 2010 requires that MSXML version 6.10.1129.0 be installed on your computer. Install this component and re-run setup."

and if i try to run "./winetricks msxml6" it will say "msxml6 already installed, skipping"

any suggestion?
    thanks in advance dudes

Have you checked over at WineHQ for any hints? Office 2010 can be problematic. I even tried CrossOver, the commercial version of Wine that includes additional Windows scaffolding, and it still didn't work: Office installed, but Outlook refused to create a profile over a VPN (which is required, since I work remotely). So I gave up and used a virtual machine instead.

Comment

Hi Steve
      yeah, but i've seen lots of sites (specially weblogs) that provide step by step walk-through for installing office 2010, so i thought it might be my problem and lack of knowledge.
      and VirtualBox is exactly what is did
      so i think i had a professional idea, as you (a very professional one) have proposed it too
      so if you say that the best thing is virtual machine, hmmmm..,
      so one quick question about V.M;
      i can't run my webcam and also microphone,
      i've enabled usb, and now it recognizes my webcam, but the driver doesn't work and i'm not able to use my webcam,
      but for microphone, it doesn't recognize built in mic
      don't u have any of these?
      Last edited by light-blue; Jun 16, 2012, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Both my ThinkPads (T520, X1) have VMware Player with a Windows XP virtual machine. Webcams and microphones function properly. Perhaps try that rather than VirtualBox?

Comment

my webcam/phone/etc do work in virtualbox, but you do have to take some extra steps - I usually get the versions straight from their website, but I don't think the Ubuntu packages in the repos are missing usb support anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            Both my ThinkPads (T520, X1) have VMware Player with a Windows XP virtual machine. Webcams and microphones function properly. Perhaps try that rather than VirtualBox?
            thanks for response,
            i should give it a try
            my main reason to go for VirtualBox is because VB is free.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            my webcam/phone/etc do work in virtualbox, but you do have to take some extra steps - I usually get the versions straight from their website, but I don't think the Ubuntu packages in the repos are missing usb support anymore.
            thanks for response.
            i did install usb support, now it recognizes my webcam, but when i want to install its driver, the system goes into "not responding" state, (i've reinstall the whole windows from scratch, but no lock )
            it also doesn't recognize my mic,
            what extra efforts did you do?
            i've installed win7, do u have win7? and do you have a laptop with built in mic and webcam? as this is the case for me and i don't have any external mic or web cam

thanks a lot dudes

Comment

Win XP, my webcam is a USB one with its own mic. You have to add your user to the "vboxuser" group and roboot. You also may have to activate the device using the at the bottom of the vb window .

I used to use Yahoo video chat with that setup, and also for running Odin to install roms on my phone.

I have not tried this using a newer OS,.only have a license for XP and Vista.

Sent from my phone

Comment

Not sure if it does the work for you, but I would go with libreoffice or openoffice, or even Simphony Stylus from IBM anyway, if u want to run microsoft office. Just go virtualbox....is the best results.

Comment

Originally posted by light-blue View Post
                  my main reason to go for VirtualBox is because VB is free.
                  So is VMware Player.

You have to add your user to the "vboxuser" group and roboot. You also may have to activate the device using the at the bottom of the vb window.
                  VMware Player doesn't require that extra step -- and I know I used to forget that one all the time. It also automatically passes USB devices through to the guest unless you disable that -- which is kind of annoying, I think.

Comment

I also have my webcam and mic working fine with programs inside VirtualBox windows guests ... the only issue was that ASUS apparently decided to install the webcam upside down. The native windows driver sorts this out but some tricks are needed to tell the Linux driver to handle it.
                    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

So is VMware Player.

VMware Player doesn't require that extra step -- and I know I used to forget that one all the time. It also automatically passes USB devices through to the guest unless you disable that -- which is kind of annoying, I think.
                      Lol what about libre free ? ;-)

It is a bit better in resource-usage for me not having USB devices loaded automatically, especially on the P4 laptop with 1 GB ram, but also on my less old dual core Dell D630. I do believe you can choose specific devices to be loaded automatically in your vm in VB.
                      Sent from my phone.

Comment

Lol what about libre free ? ;-)
                        Heh. While I'm not intending to start an Oracle vs. VMware battle, I do know which organization I'd trust more

Comment

Heh. While I'm not intending to start an Oracle vs. VMware battle, I do know which organization I'd trust more
                          The one whose owner purchased 98% of an Hawaiian Island, including the two luxury hotels on it, using income from abusive profits?
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Gee, wherever did you hear that?

Comment

Originally posted by light-blue View Post
                              Hello again
                              i'm using kubuntu x64
                              FYI-- x64 mean Itanium, I'm sure you mean X86_64
                              Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
                              X