This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard drive problems

trying to mount a second hard drive i added a line in fstab and mtab such as this
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda2 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid $
    /dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 auto user,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
    /dev/hdb1 /data ntfs ro,nls=utf8,uid=1000,unmask=0277

it tells me that it is already mounted in data mount failed can anybody help me with this

Re: hard drive problems

Originally posted by vamperman4
    trying to mount a second hard drive i added a line in fstab and mtab such as this
    You shouldn't edit mtab manually, mtab tells the system which filesystems are currently mounted...if mtab line exists, system will think it's already mounted

/dev/hdb1 /data ntfs ro,nls=utf8,uid=1000,unmask=0277
    Typo there, it's 'umask' not 'unmask'

Comment

how do i be able to write to my second drive it keeps telling me that i cant write to it

Comment

Originally posted by vamperman4
        how do i be able to write to my second drive it keeps telling me that i cant write to it
        You mean the ntfs drive?
        You shouldn't write to it, writing to ntfs is unsafe in kubuntu/linux.

There is a new driver in development that promises to bring full write support to ntfs, but it's still in beta stage so you might wish to wait a while. You can search for information on the driver with googling 'ntfs-3g'.

Theoretically you can make it writable by removing the read-only (ro) option from your fstab line, but I recommend that you don't

Comment

Working...
        X