X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing flash.

Hi there!

My bestie has aspergers and has slipped inside his head. So I am going to have to learn to do things for myself. First of all I don't know which version of Kubuntu I have so as to inform you? How do I find this out please?

Secondly I badly need to update flash. (Nothing much is working)!

I tried following some simple instructions, but got no response at all in the terminal. I was missing something.

Your help is appreciated.

Regards

Purr.

"HowTo: Find Out My Linux Distribution Name and Version" - http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/find-li...ersion-number/
    ...You might need sudo
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Version Info from the Kubuntu forums: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...fo-Regenerated

HowTo's:

Kubuntu Guide: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntuguide
      --> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntu_...tricted_Extras

At here - with the Canonical Partner repository /1/ enabled:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-kde

More:

1. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu

Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
      - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Originally posted by arochester View Post
        "HowTo: Find Out My Linux Distribution Name and Version" - http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/find-li...ersion-number/
        ...You might need sudo
        I went to f12, to the terminal and typed

$ cat /etc/*-release

I also tried:

$ lsb_release -a

I also tried $ cat /etc/*version

And hit enter, and absolutely nothing happened. Sorry I'm obviously missing something here.

Obiviously there is something I have to type in order to make the command or something I'm thinking, or I'm in the wrong place altogether?
        Last edited by purrin; Jun 03, 2012, 08:16 AM.

Comment

go to your applications menu (the blue K left side of panel) then applications then system scroll down and you will see "terminal" click that then use the commands given.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            go to your applications menu (the blue K left side of panel) then applications then system scroll down and you will see "terminal" click that then use the commands given.

VINNY

OK thanks, It says Ubuntu 11.10

Now I'm going to try the flash commands

Thanks.

Comment

OK, OK, I followed these instructions here http://blog.sudobits.com/2011/09/07/...-ubuntu-11-10/

And it seemed to work. BUT myspace is still telling me I need to upgrade my flash player. So what is the command for udating it please?

Thanks

Purr.

Comment

Yeees, still having problems.

I used this command sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

and it absoulutely worked: however I am still getting the following message at myspace:

Flash is unavailable for playback. Your Flash version is: 11.2.202 To proceed, try the following:

Refreshing the Page
                Restarting your Browser
                Upgrading your Flash Player

Come on guys, please help, Because I really want to explore dark-music.org

And it's not the firefox plug in, I checked that and it's up to date.
                Last edited by purrin; Jun 03, 2012, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I have no problems accessing and viewing everything on dark-music.org. On my HP laptop, I have adobe-flash-properties-kde, adobe-flashplugin, ubuntu-restricted-extras installed.
                  Attached Files
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I was referring specifically to myspace. If indeed I need this then: adobe-flash-properties-kde, adobe-flashplugin, ubuntu-restricted-extras, how indeed do I go about getting it please?

Comment

Open a console. You can press Alt+F2 and type konsole and press Enter. In the console type:
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install [COLOR=#3E3E3E]adobe-flash-properties-kde adobe-flashplugin ubuntu-restricted-extras[/COLOR]
                      If any of these are already installed, you will be told that, otherwise, they will be installed.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        Open a console. You can press Alt+F2 and type konsole and press Enter. In the console type:
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install [COLOR=#3E3E3E]adobe-flash-properties-kde adobe-flashplugin ubuntu-restricted-extras[/COLOR]
                        If any of these are already installed, you will be told that, otherwise, they will be installed.
                        K, did this and indeed they were installed but I'm still getting these messsages at my space:

Flash is unavailable for playback. Your Flash version is: 11.2.202 To proceed, try the following:

Refreshing the Page
                        Restarting your Browser
                        Upgrading your Flash Player

Even after a fresh restart of my computer.

Comment

The videos work in there it's just the player that still returns that message. (see above).

Well it's been 2 days since I had to line up for this forum, and do all the stuff I've done and still no myspace. The allow for allow cam button doesn't work in stickam either. Any ideas, anyone please. Pretty please.

There used to be this page my bestie would go to, it was to allow flash to access certain pages or something it was online or something. I can't quite remember what it was. He originally got all my stickam and other cam sites working with it. Maybe I could try that if someone could direct me to it?

Comment

what browser are you using ?

if firefox try installing the flash-aid extension and use it's wizard mode to fix your flash ........
                            to do it open firefox and go to tools , add-ons , get add-ons and search for flash-aid and install it .......then it will add a button to the right of the home button just click it and run the wizard ......

if your using rekonq ? don't know how to fix it ....sory

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes firefox. Yes I did this already in the hope that would fix it, it now says no more updates available. It selected adobebeta I don't know if I should try flashstable?

Comment

Working...
                              X