This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

username and password for Livecd/USB

what's the default username and PW for LIVECD/USB?

I tried typing nothing but it wont let me proceed..

Thanks in advance!!

A quick google led me to this.

IIUC, you shouldn't need a password to use a LiveCD or USB image. I've never needed one.

Another post I found elsewhere suggested that the image may be bad, and that this could be the problem. Try downloading / burning / creating an image again.

Are you trying to do a system rescue of a problem machine? That would require root access. For that there are better options than Kubuntu.

Let us know what you need.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
      A quick google led me to this.

IIUC, you shouldn't need a password to use a LiveCD or USB image. I've never needed one.

Another post I found elsewhere suggested that the image may be bad, and that this could be the problem. Try downloading / burning / creating an image again.

Are you trying to do a system rescue of a problem machine? That would require root access. For that there are better options than Kubuntu.

Let us know what you need.

Frank.
      Thank you for the quick reply..

There is no username and PW at startup but when I tried replicating the problem by logging out, I cannot log back in again without putting in a login and PW..

By the way, this is a persistent USB install if it matters..

Thanks again!!

Comment

when I tried replicating the problem by logging out, I cannot log back in again without putting in a login and PW..
        The only other thing I came across, and which I've never tried, is to use 'kubuntu' as the user name, with no password. If that doesn't work, then try 'ubuntu' and no password. Do not include the quotes.

I don't have a live install at the moment, so I can't test this, however, I'm in the process of creating one. If I learn any more, I'll post it back.

Frank.

Comment

OK, just tried it, and yes, if you log out, it wants an user name and password to get back in. I tried kubuntu with no password, and that worked.

Frank.

Comment

Hello Frank,

you're a genius! It worked!!

Thanks a lot!!

Comment

you're a genius! It worked!!
              If only....

I found this by doing a quick search on Google. By all means, please feel free to ask here, and we love to have folks come and hang out. However, you can often get quick answers to your questions through google. It may save you time waiting around for someone here to respond. I did the very same thing myself yesterday. I had just installed 12.04 on my netbook, and it came up with the netbook interface, which is entirely foreign to me. I wanted to switch to the standard desktop interface, but didn't know how, and couldn't find where to change it. I posted here, then waited. In the meantime, I tried Google. Got an answer, and then posted back to my own message before anyone else could.

Frank.

Comment

Working...
              X