X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Walkman problem

Hello!

When I plug my Sony NWZ b162f into pc with Kubuntu 12.04, I get the following:

1. if amarok is running, player appears in it and i can copy music to player successfully.
    2. if amarok is not running, player appears in devices, but it belongs to user:root and group:root, so i can't copy/delete files to/from it.

i want to be able to use it as a flash drive, not only for music, so it would be really good to have the second situation solved, so i can copy files on my player. can anyone help?

OK, I haven't seen that one before, but I think I know a workaround. However, I suggest you use this workaround only as a last resort if someone else does not respond and tell you the right way to get this fixed.

In the 'buntus you can get root privileges with the sudo command. I'm guessing that you will want to use the Dolphin file manager, however, to do the transferring, so try this:

Kmenu | System | Konsole

That will open up a black box into which you can type some commands. From here you can get a root authorized version of Dolphin by typing:

Code:
    sudo dolphin
    and then pressing the enter key. You will have to provide your user password. When you do, a root authorized version of Dolphin will open up. If it is plugged in you will find your walkman in root/media folder.

Take care using this version of Dolphin, as you can mess up your installation if you remove or modify files other than where you intend.

If, after you have moved files from the walkman to your machine, you find that the files on your machine now show up as root, you can change the ownership using this root authorized version of Dolphin. Just right click the file in question, select properties, then the Permissions tab. In the bottom left of that dialog box there are two boxes that allow you to set the User and the Group. If you have several to change, you can multiselect in Dolphin (ctrl-click), and change them all in one step.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

In years past when running Dolphin as root, I was instructed the best way to do it was to run it as..

Code:
      kdesudo dolphin
      I can't remember the reason why, but I know others will be able to enlighten me.

Comment

Using kdesudo to launch Dolphin allows you to operate 'as root' from within Dolphin, but ensures that your user /home directory is 'protected' from accidental ownership problems that can occur when using Dolphin launched using sudo and operating within your user /home directory.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog:

but ensures that your user /home directory is 'protected' from accidental ownership problems that can occur when using Dolphin launched using sudo and operating within your user /home directory.
          Thank you for that!! What a great tip! I didn't realize that there was a difference. I like!

Its always a great day when you learn something new and useful.

Frank.
          Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

thanks, that works

Comment

Working...
            X