This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VLC & other video players menus inactive during video playback

Hello everyone here, I wonder if anyone could let me know if they have the same issue. I have VLC & Dragon player installed on my Kubuntu 12.04 (in Virtualbox) and notice that when playing a video, all the menu entries along the top (file, playback, audio, video, tools, etc) are not active/clickable or usable at all, neither is a right click option. now, could this just be a Virtualbox issue or is this a KDE issue?, the actual buttons (play, pause etc) do work but not any of the other options. I know it's not a big deal but sometimes it is very useful to be able to change the playback aspect ratio in vlc as well as some other options.

Any help much appreciated as I am trying to get to know Kubuntu before installing it on my actual hd.

I have VLC 1.1.12 installed on Kubuntu 11.10 - not virtual - and I don't have this problem. Menu bar and context menu work fine during playback.

What version of VLC do you have installed? Odd that two different players would have the same issue.
    I don't see how it could be virtualbox issue as long as at least some mouse interaction is working.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I think it's the latest version of VLC (2.0.1). Everything else sems to work fine and yes it does affect the other video player (Dragon), even when the video is paused this happens but strangely, as mentioned above, the main buttons on the media players work (play, pause, stop etc). I have KDE set to 'folder view' btw, don't know if that has anything to do with it

Comment

Originally posted by KDEnewbie View Post
        I have KDE set to 'folder view' btw, don't know if that has anything to do with it
        Switch to Desktop view and see if it makes any difference.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Switch to Desktop view and see if it makes any difference.
          I just tried that having seen your post and still the same situation, I can only guess that it might be something to do with the latest version of vlc, but really not sure at all.

Comment

An update, tried installing Kplayer, KMplayer, Kaffeine, all total garbage, they didn't even show a picture, except Kaffeine which would only show a very squashed picture (the video was 1280x720 widescreen 16:9), made it look even narrower than a standard 4:3 image, even on fullscreen.

However, I took a chance on Totem (Mplayer), which I think is a Gnome app, and it works far better than the others except for being a bit stuttery, all the menu items and right click items work well but actual playback is smoother in VLC, so its VLC without use of menus during playback, no right click option during playback as my best option but will leave Totem installed as it works ok ish.

I uninstalled all the other pointless half baked video players, why do they keep these apps in the repos when they are not fit for purpose??, and yes I do have all codecs installed.

Anyway, I am very sad that something that looks so gorgeous (KDE) doesn't seem to be very good for media playback/handling, looks like a longer wait before I'll put it on any real hard disk. I did some searching for reported problems with media playback issues and am inclined to agree with some of the points made by this linux user

Anyway, thanks for your answers above

Comment

Interesting. I'll agree that Linux is not as good a platform for gaming as Windows. But playing video and music is absolutely fine on my system and most people's. With menus!

Have you tried booting from a Live CD to eliminate the virtualisation as a possible cause?
              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                Interesting. I'll agree that Linux is not as good a platform for gaming as Windows. But playing video and music is absolutely fine on my system and most people's. With menus!

Have you tried booting from a Live CD to eliminate the virtualisation as a possible cause?
                Thats a damn good idea, thanks very much for posting that, I will definitely try as I did wonder in my 1st post whether it might be some kind of virtualbox issue. Oh btw, as for gaming, that doesnt matter to me at all as the only game I ever bother with is Chess, however, having perfect media playback with various options available during playback is important for me.

I'll give booting off live cd a try and get back here, thanks again

Comment

Problem sorted (in a manner of speaking). I am typing this from the live cd on my main machine having installed vlc and copied a video from my D partition in Win7 onto the live desktop and it works perfectly!!, very happy to see this. So in my case this was purely a virtualisation issue. I guess that there is just enough 'oomph' from the vbox graphics setup to play the video but not enough to use the menus as well, even with the full 128mb vram selected for the vm, or something like that.

thanks very much for your replies folks

Comment

Working...
                  X