Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it will help you a lot to get your head around the layout of the Linux filesystem. Just take a brief skim through this

http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/

Also, it's fun to install a program called tdfsb which allows you to take a visual tour of the filesystem.

It will help you a lot in figuring out where everything is. One thing I would advise every new Linux user to do is to fire up the partition manager and set up a new partition scheme which gives you a separate root(/) and home (/home) partition. This makes things a LOT easier if you have to upgrade or reinstall. See more in this here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

Another useful thing you can try is to install a different desktop environment. Just run this in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install openbox
    Then log out, select a different session and choose the Openbox session. You won't see much at first, but then right-click the mouse and it should make sense. I always use an Openbox session to play video games, because the KDE desktop uses up some of my framerate and RAM.

Comment

I think we might have collectively scared him/her completely away by now (hopefullt not lol. Obviously everyone MEANS well). Point is, no two of us use Linux in exactly the same way. I'd hate to lose a new Linux user because of the well-meaning insistance of reading man pages.

My point is that Kubuntu is for both Windows / Apple refugees who just want A Better Way To Get Things Done!!!! as well as those who actually have even a passive interest in how their computers and operating systems work.
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

dequire:

I'd hate to lose a new Linux user because of the well-meaning insistance of reading man pages.
        My point as well.

Frank.
        Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
          The two types of Windows users: those who have had a virus and ... wait, maybe just one type.
          No Windows malware on my machines...whazzamatta wit you guys?

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
            I think we might have collectively scared him/her completely away by now
            Let's ask.

MatureStudent: what do you think of our discussion so far? One of the attributes of KFN is that we like to talk! This is a place where members feel free to share their opinions without worrying about ridicule or dismissal. My take on the comments in the thread is that we enjoy the variety of ways to accomplish tasks on the operating system, and each of us is offering a favorite perspective. The cool thing is, they all work.

I'm genuinely interested in your response to the various ideas expressed here, and I'm sure the others are, too.

Comment

Point is, no two of us use Linux in exactly the same way. I'd hate to lose a new Linux user because of the well-meaning insistance of reading man pages. ....
              exactly, or using the Konsole.

When I install Kubuntu for someone who is not technically oriented and doesn't want to be, I tell them to use Kubuntu the same way they use Windows. I tell them the mouse moves exactly the same way and the buttons work exactly the same way. All they need to do is learn where the windows equivalent programs (LibreOffice in place of Office, etc...) are in the classic menu structure (which I set when I install it, or guide them to setting it if they installed from the LiveCD), and get accustomed to how those application menus and buttons are used to do the same things in Office, etc... THAT'S the only learning curve with Kubuntu as far as Windows users are concerned. Once they learn of the considerable power available in right mouse button dialog they began to explore. With that comes power and knowledge at their own pace.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'd hate to lose a new Linux user because of the well-meaning insistance of reading man pages.
                Actually, how would a new user even begin to know how to read man pages? The mere notition of this would assume one at lease knows the name of the command in question...

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                I'm genuinely interested in your response to the various ideas expressed here, and I'm sure the others are, too.
                Absolutely. I'm interested as well. Personally, my reasons for Linux are mainly purely philosophical and my choice of KDE is a both a mere personal preference as well as a keen respect and enjoyment of the greater KDE and Kubuntu commumities. Though I do like to get down and dirty into config files and play from time to time. As for the command line, Google makes it far too easy for me to copy / paste what I need in those rare intances that I might want to use it. Don't get me wrong, I know the basics. And that's exactly all I care to know

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                exactly, or using the Konsole <snip> Once they learn of the considerable power available in right mouse button dialog they began to explore. With that comes power and knowledge at their own pace.
                As usual GG, well-said.

As for the OP, my personal reccomendation would be to hang out here as one learns new things constantly from sheer osmosis if nothing else! Also, why not point new Kubuntu users to KDE Userbase? It seems like such a great resource for new Kubuntu users to learn and discover all the power and unique nuances for KDE and it's associated apps. I never see it getting mentioned.....It's a shame IMHO.
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Ok well, I think perhaps we did scare the OP off...Though I'm bumping in case we have not
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                  X