This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Windows to a Linux Computer

I am currently using Dapper Drake amd64 on my computer and I like it a lot, but I have some Windows XP software that I need and I can't run it.

I was going to use Parallels to get Windows on a virtual machine, but it does not support a 64-bit host system. So, I need some help finding an alternative. I could resize my Linux partition and install XP on a new partition, or I could try out VMware. I need some help to implement either option.

For the dual-boot option, how do I resize a partition in Kubuntu and what do I need to do to get GRUB to allow me to dual-boot with my new XP installation?

For the VMware, when I looked at it in the repository, it said something about needing a profile. What is this profile and where can I get one that will work with my computer?

Finally, which option would work better and with less risk?
    Currently Running Dapper 6.06 amd64 on:<br />Athalon 64 3000+<br />512Mb DDR400<br />ATi 9200SE<br />Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80Gb

Re: Adding Windows to a Linux Computer

I can't help with Vmware because I don't run it, but I really think that's your best option. If you try to install windows It will refuse to recognize the existence of Kubuntu (or anything else, for that matter) and will wipe your hard drive clean before installing itself. If you wish to dual boot, YOU MUST INSTALL WINDOWS FIRST. M$ does not play well with others. Since you already have Kubuntu installed, that option is not available to you unless you are willing to lose everything you've done with Kubuntu.

Comment

Presumeably you've already checked out wine and crossover that allow windoze programs to run under linux.

Comment

Another option is to install a second hard disk and run windows from this one. Its a simple matter to then add the commands to Grub to dual boot. That is my preferred configuration.

Comment

A thought just occured to me (based on your Forum name). There is more scientific software for Linux than you might suppose. This is especially true for (K)Ubuntu, which is a child distro of Debian. For example, the Cernlib physics package is available in Universe. There are also bioinformatics packages available, as well as the R , Euler, and Octave math packages. If scientific software is what you're looking for look at the Debian Science mailing list archives for possible substitutes for Windoze programs.

Comment

I have strongly considered using Wine, but it is greyed-out in Adept, so I was under the impression that there are no availible packages of it that are approved for use with Kubuntu.

I am aware of the impressive catalog of scientific software for linux, and a lot of it is better than the equivalents that I have seen for XP. The software I want Windows for is purely recreational.
            Currently Running Dapper 6.06 amd64 on:<br />Athalon 64 3000+<br />512Mb DDR400<br />ATi 9200SE<br />Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80Gb

Comment

If you wanna try installing Windows (make sure you have enough room on your HDD for Windows. You can use a LiveCD to resize your HDD and make space), there is a good guide for restoring your MBR- look at the LIVE CD way, in the second or third posts*: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...s+restore+grub

* Can't check or internet connection will crap out.
              <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

wine works very well indeed on kubuntu (and other distributions too).

Comment

I don't use Adept so this is purely conjectural, but it may be that Wine is greyed out because it is not available for AMD64 (or PPC) computers. I do know that Wine is NOT available as a Ubuntu package for AMD64 computers.

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvana
                    If you wanna try installing Windows (make sure you have enough room on your HDD for Windows. You can use a LiveCD to resize your HDD and make space), there is a good guide for restoring your MBR- look at the LIVE CD way, in the second or third posts*: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...s+restore+grub

* Can't check or internet connection will crap out.
                    Will resizing my partition in this manner destroy the contents of the partition? What program on the Live CD do I use to resize the partition?

Comment

Will resizing your partition destroy your data?

Depends! Be SURE what you haven't backed-up, you can afford to lose. Some programs are destructive, others mightn't be. And mistakes can and DO happen.

What to use?

Depends on your live CD. Look for qparted or something similar.

Comment

I found QTparted on the Live CD, but it doesn't allow me to resize my partition. The only available options are 'format' and 'delete' everything else is grayed-out.

The partition I want to change is the sda1, which is my root partition, and uses the ext3 filesystem. Would these variables affect anything?

The parted documentation that I can find says that the version of parted on my Live CD (1.6.25) is able to resize ext3 partitions, provided that their start point is the same. I have the e2fsprogs needed to modify ext3 filesystems with QTparted as part of the Live CD, as well. Why won't QTparted work?

Comment

I'd suggest QParted isn't working for a good reason - it WILL delete your information.

Here's my suggestion: back up the partition somewhere, delete and repartition.

Make sure ALL important data is backed up before doing that.

QParted is great, but anything funny about the partition and it "plays it safe".

Good luck.

Comment

This is the answer I really didn't want. Can I get a second opinion?

Comment

Working...
                            X