This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hw_random error

I am trying to install kubuntu 6 on my laptop. it is dell inspiron 6000.

but it is showing me hw_random error. it says it is not able to detect hardware drivers.

but i still went ahead with the installation. but the system frezes at point where it shows

copying 10% complete.

can somebody please suggest me what to do?

Shankar

Re: hw_random error

to be more specific -

Loading hardware drivers

[hw_random] cannot enable RNG, aborting

could somebody get me out of this

Thanks in advance

Comment

This is just a guess at the problem without even a solution, so you still need to do some digging. Intel i810 compatible chips have a hardware Random Number Generator that Linux uses when it can to generate random numbers (for cryptography and such). Apparently, the kernel spotted your i810 compatible chip and tried to implement the (CPU time saving) hardware random number generator, but failed. Since Dell often uses Intel manufactured mother boards, it should work. You may have a real hardware failure. But don't try to say Linux to a Dell tech support person, even if you have the patience to get to talk to one.

Comment

I have the same laptop. Mine also says hardware RNG failed. I just assumed it not present on these laptops. It falls back to software RNG I understand which is fine for me for now. So don't go to tech support because it's not going anywhere before this laptop model becomes obsolete anyway.

Comment

Working...
        X