This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz on 12.04

I was just getting interested in Compiz, and thinking if it's possible to place it on 12.04. All of the instructions are a bit dated, and wondered if it is even works on the latest builds.

Any ideas?

It is definitely possible. Any instructions for 11.04 or 11.10 will get it on your system just fine. But, be warned, I have seen some problems with 12.04 and compiz but it seems like they are being quickly resolved. I might wait a month or so if I were you.

Basically, just run sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager and tweak some things. There is a lot of compiz documentation on the net so just take a look at it (or ask here) for specific questions/problems.
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Out of curiosity, what's missing from KWin that's drawing you to Compiz?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        I always wonder this myself whenever I see Compiz questions here. My guess is familiarity...
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I have a similar desire for compiz on kde, i made the switch last night because of unity pissing me of crashing with my dual monitor setup as soon as i started xinerama. Feel free to correct me if i am wrong, since i very well may be, but the things i want to work that i don't THINK Kwin can provide are Desktop zoom with super+mouse wheel, and screenshot with super+LMB. If there is a way to set it up i am not seeing it.

Comment

I have a similar desire for compiz on kde, i made the switch last night because of unity pissing me of crashing with my dual monitor setup as soon as i started xinerama. Feel free to correct me if i am wrong, since i very well may be, but the things i want to work that i don't THINK Kwin can provide are Desktop zoom with super+mouse wheel, and screenshot with super+LMB. If there is a way to set it up i am not seeing it.
            Unfortunately I checked, and neither are exactly possible, but there is a zoom function in "desktop effects" that you can control and customize with keyboard shortcuts, and if you have a "print screen" key on your keyboard, that makes ksnapshot open up so you can save the screenshots. Just some info...

Comment

IMHO - kwin's effects are going to be great. I just think that Compiz has a better set of animations and the cube to me is better (for now). Nothing more than that.

I loaded the compizconfig-settings-manager on a through-around system. When I go into system controls and turn up compiz, all the windows borders and title bar are missing. I've read in a couple other forums that it's common with 12.04. I think giving it a month or two might be very good advice.

Is Emeral defunct?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigAmbulance View Post
                When I go into system controls and turn up compiz, all the windows borders and title bar are missing. I've read in a couple other forums that it's common with 12.04.
                Oddly enough, I had the same problem with a Lubuntu install a few months ago. I have no idea what causes it.

Regards...
                Last edited by ardvark71; May 12, 2012, 09:30 PM. Reason: Correction
                Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

KWin, even with all of its effects enabled, is FAR FROM a satisfactory replacement for Compiz. It doesn't support mouse shortcuts for window manipulation (mouse buttons for minimizing, scaling, moving), desktop zoom doesn't support mouse wheel (the fast and convenient Meta+wheel), there's no screenshot option (meta+LMB in Compiz, extremely useful), plus a whole host of wonderful options. So if I could get Compiz back, I would be thrilled.
                  Last edited by Guest; May 18, 2012, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawel View Post
                    there's no screenshot option (meta+LMB in Compiz, extremely useful)
                    That's likely because in KDE, pressing <Print Screen> will bring up KSnapshot by default
                    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                    K*Digest Blog
                    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Eh compiz on KDE can be tetchy, I personally never had much luck with it in recent builds of KDE and just stick to kwin.
                      The best thing to use Compiz with anymore is with classic gnome 3, and its a pain to set up sometimes.

Comment

Print Screen is a separate matter

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                        That's likely because in KDE, pressing <Print Screen> will bring up KSnapshot by default
                        Print Screen will evoke a screenshot app on most setups, whether Compiz is running or not. But it's not nearly as convenient as just dragging your mouse over an area you want to capture and having it immediately saved. No need to type in names, confirm, but most importantly, no need to open in a bitmap editor to crop. I'm surprised this kind of feature is missing from most systems.
                        Last edited by Guest; May 19, 2012, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Kwin is very stable. I have almost all desktop effects turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawel View Post
                            dragging your mouse over an area you want to capture and having it immediately saved
                            Now that is neat... I wonder whether such a thing exists somewhere in KDE or Qt land... off to search!

Comment

Hi guys, Steve, just wanted to let you know, the only eye candy effect i miss from compiz is the "Burn" effect with multicolors, thats just Awsome!
                              i was reading this thread to see if i would install compiz (running kde 4.8.5) just so i have that burn effect, but from what iv been reading i dont know...

would love to have that burn effect on kde though.

Comment

Working...
                              X