This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help needed! checking gpu driver

How to check if i already have a gpu driver and other drivers, my pc has x1950pro agp for its gpu. I installed kubuntu 12.04, the Precise Pangolin release. TIA

Originally posted by pinoy_kubuntu_user View Post
    How to check if i already have a gpu driver and other drivers, my pc has x1950pro agp for its gpu. I installed kubuntu 12.04, the Precise Pangolin release. TIA
    Hi,

Menu->System->Additional Drivers if you haven't done that already.
    Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Originally posted by rms View Post
      Hi,

Menu->System->Additional Drivers if you haven't done that already.
      Hello,

It says "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system." then it has 2 white blank textboxes.

Comment

Hello,

It says "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system." then it has 2 white blank textboxes.
        Do yo see anywhere in the dialog that ATI/AMD drivers for your gpu are offered for installation?

Comment

Originally posted by rms View Post
          Do yo see anywhere in the dialog that ATI/AMD drivers for your gpu are offered for installation?
          Nothing sir. here's my screenshot Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	639934

Comment

Nothing sir. here's my screenshot [ATTACH=CONFIG]3281[/ATTACH]
            I see... now, I don't remember whether these fields were blank for me too or not but you can install it from Muon Package Manager(also in System menu). Just type fglrx in the search field to find it, and after install re-check Additional Drivers to see if it shows anything in now empty boxes.

Cheers!

Comment

Hello pinoy...

Welcome to the forums

Another way of checking is by open a terminal (Konsole, for example) and typing in the following command...

Code:
              jockey-text -l
              and give it a few seconds to come up with the information. Also found this. You might get better performance and results if you install the proprietary "fglrx" driver as opposed to using the open source one, which I'm guessing is what you're using. If it's possible (as your card is considered "legacy" by AMD,) and you choose this option, one way would be to see if you can download and install the "fglrx," "fglrx-amdcccle" and. optionally, if your computer is a laptop, "radeontool" (use "radeontool" at your own risk, has not been fully audited and may damage your hardware) packages. I see them using Synaptic but you might be able to see them using Muon, too. The other option would be to try installing AMD's Catalyst driver here. (32 and 64 bit.) Since this is a legacy driver, it may not work with 12.04.

Hope this helps...
              Last edited by ardvark71; May 11, 2012, 09:36 AM. Reason: Additions
              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by ardvark71 View Post
                Hello pinoy...

Welcome to the forums

Another way of checking is by open a terminal (Konsole, for example) and typing in the following command...

Code:
                jockey-text -l
                and give it a few seconds to come up with the information. Also found this. You might get better performance and results if you install the proprietary "fglrx" driver as opposed to using the open source one, which I'm guessing is what you're using. If it's possible (as your card is considered "legacy" by AMD,) and you choose this option, one way would be to see if you can download and install the "fglrx," "fglrx-amdcccle" and. optionally, if your computer is a laptop, "radeontool" (use "radeontool" at your own risk, has not been fully audited and may damage your hardware) packages. I see them using Synaptic but you might be able to see them using Muon, too. The other option would be to try installing AMD's Catalyst driver here. (32 and 64 bit.) Since this is a legacy driver, it may not work with 12.04.

Hope this helps...
                im building my htpc with some spare hw. thanks for all the help, ill try it later and hope it works

Comment

If you're not really experiencing any artifacts on screen or any other video issues, I wouldn't really worry about installing a different driver, especially something experimental either. For now, I would start by showing us the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Open up Konsole, and run this command to make it accessible and ready to be attached to forums:

Code:
                  cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log ~/Desktop/Xorg.0.txt
                  You should now have a file called Xorg.0.txt on your desktop, reply to this thread with that attached so we can look at it. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by PJK View Post
                    If you're not really experiencing any artifacts on screen or any other video issues, I wouldn't really worry about installing a different driver, especially something experimental either. For now, I would start by showing us the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Open up Konsole, and run this command to make it accessible and ready to be attached to forums:

Code:
                    cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log ~/Desktop/Xorg.0.txt
                    You should now have a file called Xorg.0.txt on your desktop, reply to this thread with that attached so we can look at it. Cheers.

@ardvark71, radeon drivers seem to work with my legacy card, cheers
                    @PJK, sir here is my xorg log, hoping radeon drivers is doing its job, cheers Xorg.0.txt

Comment

Hi Pinoy...

Cool!
                      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Yeah, your Xorg.0.log says that it loaded the ATI drivers, and it detected your card to be a 1950:
                        [ 20.969] (--) RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon X1950" (ChipID = 0x7280)

Comment

Working...
                        X