X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving to an external hard drive

Hello!

When I try and save a file to my external hard drive, I get an error message: "Saving using protocol "media" is not supported."

What am I supposed to do to solve that problem?

Thanks!

Eamann

Re: Saving to an external hard drive

save it to /media/<drive> instead of media:/<drive>

Comment

Thanks Teppic for taking the time to reply!

Unfortunately, putting in the colon does not help. I still get the message I quoted in my first post.

I tried changing the "permissions" of the external hard drive in Konqueror but that was refused me, even though I am the owner.

Any other ideas?

Best wishes,

Eamann

Comment

What *exactly* are you doing?

Because, and I'm guessing here, if you're trying to save from an application, you'd use the browse box to find /media/<whichever drive it is> and then type in a file name.

Or, in konqueror you'd navigate to /media/<whichever your drive is> and paste/create a file.

Since your question was vague, so was my answer, because I haven't a clue what you're trying to do.

Comment

Hello again!

Sorry that I was not clear: I was trying to save an OO Write text document to an external hard drive which is attached by USB to my computer. Is that clear now and if not what other details would you like to have?

Thanks for your help!

Eamann

Comment

Right, this is how I do it.

I got an external USB hard drive listed as sdc1 in media. You might have it as sdb or sda, I don't know.

In open office: save as... and then use the browser to look for /media.

That's in your / (root) directory, you may need to hit the "up" arrow to get there a few times, you'll see /bin, /etc and /media (among others).

Having found /media (I think you can type that in, too), you then need to pick the directory that represents your external disk. You'll probably have /cdrom in there, maybe but open up the sda/b/c/d whatever the last letter is, one of those is your external drive.

There's an easier way, which involves making a symlink.

I'm not on kubuntu right now so I can't check that what I have is precisely right, but that's the way.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by eamann
              Unfortunately, putting in the colon does not help. I still get the message I quoted in my first post.
              I hope thats a typo your supposed to take the colon out, not put it in.

Comment

Thanks!

I would like to thank both of you for your help.

Unfortunately, since I have a whole host of problems with Kubuntu (no connection to internet, screen resolution...) I have decided to revert to Windows and wait until a more user friendly version is developed.

Best wishes,

Eamann

Comment

Working...
                X