X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 12.04 LTS: Cannot enable Desktop Effects

Cannot enable Desktop Effects:
    Required X extensions (XComposite and XDamage) are not available.

Originally installed GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Using amd64 Nvidia current) in Ubuntu 10.04 manually, through the command line.. Then recently installed kubuntu 12.04 on same drive as dual boot. Nvidia was auto working perfectly.
    Have since "synaptic" installed all x11 proto-composite-dev, libxcb-composite, x11 proto-damage-dev, libxdamage1...etc. Reinstalled ubuntu-x-swat x-updates. Problem not solved.

My device is GeForce GTX 550 Ti set to TwinView.
    Where do I find the misterious required install files?

Maybe this is not the correct way to get some help, but after waiting for a reply since May 6 I want to add more info for the same problem.
    Have since created a clean install on a new HD
    My display device is GeForce GTX 550 Ti set to TwinView.
    Reinstalled NVidia updates May 2012 in Kubuntu v12.04
    NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (post-release updates) (version current-updates)
    Message "You need to install this driver if you wish to use the Unity desktop, enable desktop effects, or run software that requires 3D acceleration, such as some games."
    xorg-conf has set Composite to disabled.
    Do I need Composite??
    Or where do I find the "Required X extensions"?
    Or what else can I do to fix this annoying problem?

Comment

I still cannot tell what is not working for you. In your first post you say that you installed kubuntu 12.04 and that Nvidia was auto working perfectly. Are you having problems with graphics in Ubuntu or Kubuntu? KDE will run with the opensource nvidia driver, but you will lose some of the special effects. It will also run with the closed source (actual nvidia provided drivers) but some nvidia cards choke on them because of a bug and you need to tell kde to use xrender instead of opengl (which also removes some of the effects).

My xorg.conf has no mention of composite and actually only contains:
      Section "Device"
      Identifier "Default Device"
      Option "NoLogo" "True"
      EndSection

If you are using the nvidia drivers and not the open source ones, you would normally configure them through the nvidia-settings program and not directly in xorg.conf. Anyway, if you could be a little more specific about what the specific problem is or what isn't working, it might be easier to get an answer.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I always configure through the nvidia-settings program.
        Have removed Ubuntu - for now. Installed kubuntu 12.04 2 days ago. All current updates are installed.
        NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current) [Recommended] was installed.
        Openened System Settings - Desktop Effects - General tab.
        Info message: Desktop effects are not available on this system due to the following technical issues:
        Required X extensions (XComposite and XDamage) are not available.
        Clicked Advanced Button - Composting type: set at Open GL
        Switched to XRender & got message:
        Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration options. Settings will be reverted to their previous values.
        Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced options, especially changing the compositing type.
        Installed NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (post-release updates) (version current-updates) via Additional Drivers . Rebooted
        Still get the same results.
        Am at a loss as to what to do now. I would prefer to use Open GL because of my preferred Screensavers.
        Hope this info helps.

Comment

Working...
        X