Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installer Won't Boot CD's, Crashes On USBDrive, Multiple Attempts and Counting

I'm getting repeated failures trying to install Kubuntu 12.04 on a machine currently running Ubuntu 12.04. Make that was running. The installer managed to format the partitions before it crashed.

1. Repeated attempts to install on CD fail, each time locking up the machine before the grub menu is displayed. An error message declaring that "You Need to launch a kernel" appear. Power toggle required.

2. The install begins if I use a USB stick, with nomodeset as a kernel option.

3. After booting with the USB stick, the installer crashed, 4 times in succession, while I was manually editing partitions.

4. On the fifth attempt, I created fewer partitions than I really need. The installer did not crash at that point. However, when the process indicator reached the 86% mark, nothing happen for more than 30 minutes except constant flashing of the disk activity light.

5. Eventually, I opened another console and ran top. Ubiquity was at 100% CPU. So, the installer had crash for a fifth time.

6. In addition, each installer crash rendered the USB stick unbootable. The screen display a "non-system disk" message. This forces me to recreate the USB stick before each install attempt.

For what it is worth, I had exactly the same lack of success trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 from CD.

I gather from skimming the forum and Googling quickly that this installer is prone to failure.

Can anyone suggest some alternatives that might prove successful. All I have now is a machine with an Ubuntu installation that the Kubuntu managed to wipe out before it failed.

[NOTE: Got it installed on the 9th attempt. This KDE mix is very nice, but the installer needs to be driven into the desert and left to die.]
    Last edited by Guest; May 04, 2012, 05:46 PM.
Working...
X