This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy needs help (suprise)

Hi i am new to linux and have been using the live cd i got with computer act!ve earlier today and really like it. the instructions in the magazine say that it is not best to install from this cd so i have downloaded the version for under 192mb ram and am going to burn it to disk in the morning.

what i was wondering is the absolute minimum requirements. i have browsed around the site but cannot seem to find this im affraid. i have several computers but want to make them all except one to linux. also included is an old laptop i use for wireless access points on the move running windows 98se which is very restricted on performance.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give. Any other information needed just pm me.

Re: New guy needs help (suprise)

I found this info on the previous Kubuntu release which I'm sure is generally accurate to Kubuntu 6.06:  http://distroguide.box.sk/index.php/...e_Requirements

I'd start by booting the Kubuntu CD to my fastest machine and gaguing the response time by some benchmark -- such as, how long does it take to bring up Konqueror and get to Google's main page? 

If you did this on every machine, you'd have a good, practical idea of how well Kubuntu would run on your hardware.

also included is an old laptop i use for wireless access points on the move running windows 98se which is very restricted on performance
    I haven't tried installing Kubuntu on a PII or lower, but back when I had a PII box, I had to use IceWM instead of KDE.  If I had to install an Ubuntu distro on a PII today, I'd choose Xubuntu.  It's desktop manager, XFCE, really does strike a balance between lightweight and functional -- it offers more than IceWM but doesn't use as many resources as KDE.

Comment

sounds good thank you. i have been trying a few different linux live cds so the decision was not made all in one day either but this was definatley the best and easiest to use. i will try the kubuntu install on my other computers first but think i will try on the laptop whatever as the previous release's minimum requirements seem in reach of my laptop.

I think i have found the light.... linux is the way.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

hi again i have just burnt my linux disks. i have one with kununtu and one with Xubuntu. I instert the Xubuntu disk and it gives me the options:
        • Install in text mode
        • Install in OEM mode
        • Install a server
        • Install an LTSP server
        • Check CD for Defects
        • Rescue a broken system
        • Memory test
        • Boot from first hard disk

ok. so i do not want to install a server so that rules out 3+4. i have checked the CD for defects and said CD is valid. Have not got a system to be broken. Have done a memory test and passed. Have tried the boot from first hard disk option (booted os currently installed)

So i was wondering which of the two types of install i should do. on the kubuntu disk there is only install in text mode but with xp it is an OEM version.

Basically do i need:
        • Install in text mode
          or
        • install in OEM mode

A quick reply if possible please.

Thanks.

Comment

OEM mode first; that failing, text mode.  Hope that helps!

Comment

oops little late already done the text version and running. i am using a laptop but the area is really small because only 640X480 and 800X600 available where i used to use 1024X768 and that was full screen. is there a way i can make it to 1024X768?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X