This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions About Screensavers

This is a recurring problem with the screensaver in Kubuntu. I am running Kubuntu 12.04, upgraded from 11.10 about a month ago. My system is an Emachine 3302+ with an AMD Semipron processor running at 2 ghz with 1Gb memory. The problem I have is that no matter what settings I use in "settings/display/screensaver" my screensaver puts my monitor to sleep after about 10 minutes (I presently have it set for 75 minutes). This doesn't happen everywhere, only in some apps. Most notably when I'm using VLC and watching a movie. This is very distracting.

I stopped using screensavers back when we moved from 80 collumn displays with EGA graphics. Once we moved into VGA, SVGA and LCD screens they became unecessary. I'm not sure why most OSs still have them as defaults. Is there a way to just disable the one in Kubuntu? At least is there a way to make it follow it's settings? I've searched around on the net and have found almost no mention of this problem.

Thanx.
    capt-zero

Hi capt-zero,
    Are you sure this is a screensaver problem?
    Could it be the Energy Saving Settings, SystemSettings > PowerManagement perhaps.
    Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

I'd guess it's X's dpms settings that blanks your monitor rather than kde.

You can check DPMS settings with 'xset -q', check for something like:
      DPMS (Energy Star):
      Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 3600
      DPMS is Enabled
      These particular settings turn off monitor after 1 hour (3600 seconds), as DPMS is enabled.
      You can temporarily test whether it's DPMS that blanks your monitor by turning DPMS off with 'xset -dpms', and see whether your monitor still blanks after 10 minutes.

If DPMS is indeed the cause, post back and I (or someone else) will give you instructions on how to change DPMS settings permanently.

Comment

kubicle,

My DPMS readout:
        screen Saver:
        prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
        timeout: 0 cycle: 600

AND:
        DPMS (Energy Star):
        Standby: 600 Suspend: 600 Off: 600
        DPMS is Disabled
        Not sure what it means. Does the 600 in both instances need to be changed to something else?

And bra|10n, my power management settings are all set to run with continuous AC power. In addition the VLC setting under "tools" "prefrences" and "advanced" is set to disable the screensaver, but none of these seems to have an effect in VLC. If it would engage when I'm not at my desktop or when otherwise inactive, I wouldn't mind, but it quite bothersome when watching a movie to suddenly have the screen go blank every 10 minutes.

Thanks for your help,
        capt-zero
        Last edited by capt-zero; Apr 30, 2012, 10:58 AM. Reason: grammaR, speeling

Comment

Originally posted by capt-zero View Post
          My DPMS readout:
          screen Saver:
          prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
          timeout: 0 cycle: 600

AND:
          DPMS (Energy Star):
          Standby: 600 Suspend: 600 Off: 600
          DPMS is Disabled
          Not sure what it means. Does the 600 in both instances need to be changed to something else?
          capt-zero
          1. In the screen saver section, "timeout: 0" means screen saver is disabled (so no problem there)

2. In the dpms section, the 600 second timeouts match your "10 minute blank", but DPMS is disabled so it doesn't seem to be the cause (unless you specifically disabled dpms prior to querying the output?)

Comment

kubicle,

No, I haven't messed with any controls for days, except for the screensaver disable in VLC itself. Could that have had an effect on the DPMS readout?

thanx,
            capt-zero

Comment

Just another thought...
              Could it be the monitor itself perhaps?
              Bare in mind I don't know what rig set-up your using.

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

bra|10n,

It COULD be, but I have a 'Digital' VGA crt monitor, routed through a standard port on the back of my computer. Off and on I have a Aopen GEforce MX400 video card hooked up. It preforms the same in regards to the screen blanking whether I have the card installed or not (when the card is installed I run as OpenGL, without as Xrender). The system is an Emachine 3302+ with an AMD semipron 2400 processor running at 2ghz with 1 gb memory.

thanx,
                capt-zero

Comment

I meant if you are using an external monitor it could be invoking the blank screen rather than any Kubuntu settings perhaps

Comment

bra|10n,

I will look into that, but I've been using this monitor on this system for a couple of years in Windows without this problem, It was only when I switched to Kubuntu that this became an issue.

thanx,
                    capt-zero

Comment

No, I haven't messed with any controls for days, except for the screensaver disable in VLC itself. Could that have had an effect on the DPMS readout?
                      Unlikely (but not impossible, I don't know how the setting in vlc affects the system).

I find it a bit odd that your screen blanks for only some programs (most notably vlc) for you.

Another thing you can try to rule out dpms as the cause, is to set dpms timeouts to 0 (even though dpms seems to be disabled) with "xset dpms 0 0 0", and see if that makes a difference in blanking behaviour or not.

Also, like bra|10n suggested, I'd check your monitor's settings (if it's menus have powersave options)

Comment

bra|10n,

I will look into that, but I've been using this monitor on this system for a couple of years in Windows without this problem, It was only when I switched to Kubuntu that this became an issue.

thanx,
                        capt-zero
                        If it is the case, I prefer to see it as Kubuntu enabling additional features of the monitor that you weren't aware you had.

Comment

Working...
                        X