This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Chrome and KDE

As a Gnome user who has grown bored of old Gnome, hates Gnome 3 and Unity, I've just installed Kubuntu.

One thing I've found which I really like about KDE, is the notifications widget. I liked how Reqonk downloads appeared in this widget, keeping my desktop nice and clean. After installing my favorite browser, Chrome, I noticed it doesn't seem to be able to use the notifications widget. Is there an extension or something to make Chrome downloads appear in KDE's notifications widget?

Also - side question. I'm using transparent oxygen. I've gotten Chrome to match my theme pretty well, but I'm not able to make it transparent like the rest of my windows. Is it possible to do this?

Try right-clicking on Chrome's title bar and select "uses system title bar and borders" - Chrome/Chromium uses it's own window decoration, this should make it all transparent goodness for you.

As to the notifications, I don't believe there are, I do not know how hard that would be to accomplish. Firefox doesn't do this either. afaik.

Comment

If transparency is a must have for you and oxygen-transparent method fails, QtCurve does indeed allow it.
      I hope you find much more to like about Kubuntu too.
      Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Hey im new to linux just installed kubuntu and trying to install chrome. I selected the chrome for linux 64 bit ubuntu/debian download, but when i try to download it and hit save as, it says:
        Access Denied
        could not write to /google-chrome-stable_current_amd64bit.deb.part

Also when i simply select open, it gives me a dl page where three items were downloaded. They are:

control.tar.gz
        data.tar.lzma
        debian-binary

not sure what to do from here to get chrome installed. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

just exactly how did you try to DL the .deb file ?

your error line "could not write to /google-chrome-stable_current_amd64bit.deb.part" indicates it is trying to download to / (thats the root of the file system) and you shouldn't be able to so that is a good error

the file should be going to /home/yourusername/Downloads ,,,, so how did you go about geting it ?

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

thanks for the response,

I tried to dl the file directly through the google website. Just followed the links like I always do on windows, chose my 64 bit linux, and when i clicked save as, I just left what was already in teh save window as the file path. I didn't know that it was trying to save to root, do i just need to type in a certain filepath?

EDIT: It worked, i used the filepath you told me above, that was the problem. Thanks!
            Last edited by TBCShad; Nov 10, 2012, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Yes. In front of the file name type: /home/username/Downloads/

Example: Your username is shad, and the download file is chrome.deb.gz then you would make the Save as look like:

/home/shad/Downloads/chrome.deb.gz
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by TBCShad View Post
                ... Just followed the links like I always do on windows...
                Maybe you know this, but the way windows does something is often not a good guide.
                The normal (and usually much simpler and safer) way to get software on Linux is to use a package manager. On KDE that's "Muon Package Manager". Brings benefits to many to mention.

Regards, John Little
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  Maybe you know this, but the way windows does something is often not a good guide.
                  The normal (and usually much simpler and safer) way to get software on Linux is to use a package manager. On KDE that's "Muon Package Manager". Brings benefits to many to mention.

Regards, John Little
                  That's sound advice, thank you. I am just learning how to use the package manager didn't even think to find Chrome in there.

But I did fix the problem by using the filepath above. Thanks everyone for the help and quick responses. I am pretty impressed with the community here and I look forward to exploring Linux knowing helpful people like you all are out there

Comment

you will not find google chrome in your package manager unless you add their PPA to you source list's http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ you will find chromium ,the open source version however ,,,,,if you install the chrome .deb I think it will add the google PPA for you.

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

What are the forum members' thoughts on Chrome vs. Chromium? Pros and Cons? I tend to install Chrome, but I am just curious on what other people do and why.
                      Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                      tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

I'm using Chromium because when I can, I prefer to use open source as opposed to open sourced. I've never tried Chrome; Chromium works fine for me.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I don't have a preference I have them both but don't use ether of them much , I use firefox mostly .
                          but have Konqueror , rekonq , and qupzilla as well ,,,,,,I want it all LOL

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

Will toss this stupid tidbit out. I don't know much about all this Chrome stuff, need to study it, but did have a practical, quick experience with Chrome. I took one of the on-line 50+ driver's ed refresher courses recently. Using Firefox in 12.04 and a basic Earthlink 1.5 Mb/s DSL (thru tele lines), the course screens would not go as they should on interactive questions, they froze. The 1-800 course consultant said something about Firefox being too slow in response on my DSL, told me to install Chrome and go. I felt put-out, but I did, and it went perfectly. Now THAT is a convincer! :-)
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

... but my main, everyday browser is still FX; back-up is Chrome.
                              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                              X