X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

screensavers

*bump*

I've had the same problem.
    I am a complete linux n00b, and I recently installed Kubuntu linux on my laptop. When I started the resolution was not what I had hoped so following instructions in the help files I installed the nvidia drivers. Unfortunately this borked my X! After reconfiguring and switching back to the "nv" drivers instead of the "nvidia" drivers (no idea what the difference is myself!) I have X back and also running in a decent resolution.

The problem is now none of the OpenGL screensavers work, although they did before my escapade. I'm guessing that nothing using OpenGL is going to work, although I don't have any way to test that other than the screensavers.

Can anyone make some suggestions as to possible solutions? (Other than the obvious "you're a moron you don't deserve Linux"?)

~Shiv

Re: screensavers

I personally resent the comment that morons can't run Linux, I've been using it for years. I suspect that you've fallen prey to a upstream problem. Kde won't start screensavers automatically. This bug has actually been fixed, but it hasn't trickled down to Kubuntu yet. You should still be able to start your screesaver manually by clicking the lock screen button.

On the other hand, if you know that, it may be that your trying to use a screensaver that uses 3D effects that require the proprietary drivers from Nvidia. If that is the case, we san certainly try to help you install the Ubuntu versions of them.

Comment

Indeed the issue is not that the screensaver doesn't start (I haven't had a problem with that with the other screensavers), but that none of the OpenGL screensavers seem to work, even the previews.
      Not wanting to re-risk the package in the universe, I downloaded a file from the nvidia website "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run". However when I try this it complains that it can't find a driver for the kernel I am running *sniffs*

I will give the Universe one another go, but I thoroughly expect it to choke again.
      UPDATE: Before trying the universe package I uninstalled the nvidia-glx package via Adept. This seemed to resore my OpenGL capabilities, although things ran incredibly slowly (games unplayable and screensavers laughable). Tried installing the nvidia-glx package again from the universe, but it didn't work. It didn't kill my X like before, but I lost OpenGL again

Any suggestions?

~Shiv

Comment

Have you installed the "linux-restricted-modules-<your-kernel>" package? <your-kernel> stands for the output of the konsole command "uname -r". If not, installing "nvidia-glx" won't do you any good. Also, if you have an older card (TNT through GeForce2), you need the "nvidia-glx-legacy" package instead of "nvidia-glx".

Comment

Output of that command:
          2.6.15-26-386
          I currently have the following "restricted" packages installed:
          linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-23-386
          linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-26-386
          linux-restricted-modules-386
          linux-restricted-modules-common

I'm not entirely sure what gfx chip is installed on here as it's a laptop. I know it's an Nvidia and think it's a 6800. Is there any easy way to tell under linux?

UPDATE:
          nvidia-settings gives the following output:
          Code:
          sudo nvidia-settings

ERROR: NV-CONTROL extension not found on this Display.

ERROR: Unable to determine number of NVIDIA GPUs on ':0.0'.

ERROR: Unable to determine number of NVIDIA Frame Lock Devices on ':0.0'.

X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 154
            Major opcode:  143
            Minor opcode:  3
            Resource id:  0x0
          Failed to open device
          X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 154
            Major opcode:  143
            Minor opcode:  3
            Resource id:  0x0
          Failed to open device
          Hope that helps at all?

Update:
          Got it sorted! Once I ran
          Code:
          nvidia-xconfig
          and restarted everything seems to work properly!
          Thanks for your help
          ~Shiv

Comment

Working...
          X