This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help installing Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

Please anyone can give me some help installing Kubuntu 12.04 LTS on my laptop. I downloaded from the main website the x86 version, mention that I have a Fujitsu Amilo with Intel and somehow when I got to the partitioning step, I keep getting an error "the ext4 file system creation in partition #1 failed".

Looks like there were at least 16 models of the Amilo, so it would be nice to know which one you have.

Questions:

1. Are you installing ONLY Kubuntu 12.04 as the OS on that computer, or is there another OS that you need to boot?

2. Since the problem seems to be partitioning, why don't you make a Parted Magic Live CD (or USB stick) and use that to make 3 partitions:

- 10GB partition for the OS
    - 2 GB partition for swap
    - all the rest of the hard drive for /home

Format the OS and the /home partition ext4.

Then you can boot your Kubuntu CD and you can choose "manual" partitioning, and you do not need to format anything, you just choose the partitions that already exist.

Comment

I'm having the Amilo Li 3910 (dual core 2.2 and 4gb of Ram. I want to use it as the OS, nothing else. I keep getting the error with the ext4 file creation even when I do the partitions and make the install for "/"

Comment

I recommend you make the Parted Magic Live CD, and use that for partitioning. An alternative would be a Gparted Live CD. Do the partitioning first, then install Kubuntu Live CD with no partitioning.

Comment

Tried, Made the partitions with Parted Magic Live CD, after some errors, I finally managed to create a partition ext4 but when I tried to install Kubuntu from the CD, same as before, even with the partition ext4 created, it still tried to create a partition and still getting the same error. The only option I had extra after partitioning with Parted Magic Live CD was to resize the partition that is already on the HDD and that is the point where nothing changes anymore. Any ideas ?

Comment

did you check your downloaded image? did "check cd for errors" pass?
            FKA: tanderson

Comment

Yes, I thought that the CD might be bad but I checked it out and turned to be good. No problem with the CD.

Comment

Originally posted by colasitzigari View Post
                Tried, Made the partitions with Parted Magic Live CD, after some errors, I finally managed to create a partition ext4 but when I tried to install Kubuntu from the CD, same as before, even with the partition ext4 created, it still tried to create a partition and still getting the same error. The only option I had extra after partitioning with Parted Magic Live CD was to resize the partition that is already on the HDD and that is the point where nothing changes anymore. Any ideas ?
                You should be able to tell the manual partitioning to not recreate the file system assuming you pick the same one as it already has. You just need to uncheck the format option when it comes up (after formatting the drive from outside the installer).

Comment

James, I have as an option, "Guided install - resize SCSI ...something like that, Guided install - Use the hard disk and Manual install" but when I check manual install and choose the ext4 file where to install the files, I get back an error that no root file is available or something like that. I don't get it, I really don't get it.. right now I'm in Kubuntu, just clicked try when the loader came up, tried to make the partitions inside of it, using KDE, not it doesn't recognize my HDD anymore.

Comment

Did you set the mount point as "/"?

Comment

This user got a better result using the Alternate CD, which I also favor. It's worth a try -- choose "manual" partitioning, and don't check the "format" box, just select the partitions you already made with Parted Magic, and proceed.

Comment

Yes, tried that also. Unfortunately now I see it's a bigger problem. Tried today to install XP or Windows 7 and no one of them aren't working anymore so I assume something happened with my HDD.. Right now I have no OS on it, I am connected to the internet using "Try Kubuntu" so.. any ideea on what can I try to do to my HDD to see if it's good or not anymore ?.. The thing is that some moments I can make the partitions by myself, and after few tries, the HDD is not available anymore... Seems I got stuck into a bigger problem now

Comment

I've been trying to install 12.04 32-bit on a Dell B130 laptop (circa 2005) for the past week, with no satisfactory results. Curiously, I'd earlier upgraded 11.10 online to 12.04 on my custom built (i5, 8GB, 64-bit) MicroExpress desktop with no glitches. But, with the 32-bit on a laptop it's been another story.

First, I created a live CD and checked the MD5. It was perfect. However, the CD only boots for a few minutes during an install attempt, then stalls. Yes, I have been certain to update my 11.10 to the latest software before trying to install 12.04, but even so I never get the notification that a new version of Kubuntu is available. (I had received that notification on my desktop.)

So, using Konsole I've (several times) tried upgrading online. The upgrade finishes without errors, but when the final reboot takes place the boot stalls after only a few seconds (less than a minute, I think). I've used GParted to wipe the Kubuntu partitions off of the laptop hard drive, reinstalled 11.10, used Konsole to retrieve the 11.10 updates, then tried yet again to upgrade to 12.04 online (using Konsole). I've been through this routine about four times now, with identical results. The laptop is dual boot with XP, but Grub seems to be working fine. It just won't boot into 12.04 (but boots into 11.10 just fine). I'm at the point where I'm ready to make one more iteration of the 11.10 install and forget 12.04 on the laptop. That would be too bad, because 12.04 runs like a charm on my 64-bit desktop. It's noticeably faster than 11.10.

The only error I've noted (other than refusing to boot into 12.04) was in recovery mode, when I was told the 12.04 system was missing a wireless driver in Kernal (b43 firmware). I've read in other forum posts that some people are having wireless problems with 12.04 and this lack of a driver could well be my issue, but I doubt it. Since neither the 12.04 live CD nor online update works on the laptop, I'm stuck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Are you attempting to install with only a wireless connection? If your wireless card/chipset requires a driver that isn't supported by the kernel, you will have problems. That is why it is highly recommended that you be connected to a wired internet connection when doing an install or upgrade.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Wireness is not the problem

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              Are you attempting to install with only a wireless connection? If your wireless card/chipset requires a driver that isn't supported by the kernel, you will have problems. That is why it is highly recommended that you be connected to a wired internet connection when doing an install or upgrade.
                              I have wireless on my laptop, but the upgrades have been attempted using a cable connected to a DSL modem (which is very slow, but does the job). So, the lack of the wireless driver doesn't seem to be a likely cause unless some check in the installer hangs when it can't find that driver.

Thanks for the super-fast reply.

Comment

Working...
                              X