X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving/joining a partition

Hi,
    I'm not exactly new to Linux, but ran into a problem that makes me feel like a newbie. I have a dual(several) boot system on my laptop. Win7 and two Kubuntu versions. I'd like to get rid of the old Kubuntu version residing in /dev/sda6 and add the space to /dev/sda9, which is my /home partition of the latest/current Kubuntu.
    I'd appreciate a recipe how to accomplish this best. A snapshot of my partition table can be found here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12636497/snapshot9.png
    TIA!

Partitions are not virutal, but instead actual physical boundaries on a disk. So you'll need to move these partitions around.

Here's how I'd go about accomplishing the task. Other folks here might have different/better ideas; I'm sure they'll chime in.
    1. Make a bootable USB with GParted Live
    2. Boot your PC with it
    3. Delete sda6 and sda7 (presumably you don't need two swap partitions)
    4. Move sda8 to the beginning of the extended partition
    5. Resize sda9 to include the portion of empty space that's now in front of it

Perform each of steps 3, 4, and 5 completely before moving to the next. That is, perform the step, click the Apply button, wait for the process to finish, then carry on.

Your partition names may change. But that shouldn't be a problem, since *buntu now references partitions by GUIDs, which don't change.

Comment

I managed to damage my Grub in the process, but could fix it using a live cd. Everything works perfectly again. Thank you very much for your help!

Comment

Working...
      X