This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help installing Owncloud on kubuntu precise pangolin

I have been surfiung for an hour and I can't find instructions on how to get Owncloud running.
    Every webpage I've visited assumes that everybody knows what mysql is.
    I am not in the elite group so I've humbly come here for help.
    Any pointers?

Hi....

If you don't get any answers here concerning the Owncloud application itself, it may be best to ask for help in their forums.

MySQL is available in the repositories and can be downloaded and installed using any package manager. I use Synaptic, which lists packages in a way I prefer. Or you can use the instructions listed here if you would rather use a terminal.

Regards...
    Last edited by ardvark71; Apr 27, 2012, 05:53 PM. Reason: Corrections
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Which Ubuntu version are you installing OwnCloud into? Only Precise includes OwnCloud 3.0; prior *buntu releases used older versions.

Once I know which verison of OwnCloud you're looking at and which *buntu you're running, I can help you get the thing installed.

Comment

Sorry:
        I am using Precise Pangolin (updated a few days ago).

Comment

Originally posted by ardvark71 View Post
          Hi....
          MySQL is available in the repositories and can be downloaded and installed using any package manager. I use Synaptic, which lists packages in a way I prefer. Or you can use the instructions listed here if you would rather use a terminal.

Regards...
          Thanks for the link, but, as I said, I am a regular user, and it seems to demand a bit of undesrtanding of the way servers work.
          I am starting to believe that the mistake is on my side, since I thought I would be able to replace dropbox or spideroak without much work, but it doesn't seem to be the idea behind owncloud (I mean the part about the work to be done or the knowledge required).

Comment

The version of OwnCloud in the Precise repos is 3.0. It works well with SQLite, but it will default to MySQL if SQLite isn't already installed. So let's get that going for you.

First, uninstall what you've done so far:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get purge owncloud
            sudo apt-get --purge autoremove
            Next, install SQLite and OwnCloud in one step:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install php5-sqlite owncloud
            The installer will take care of configuring SQLite and Apache for you. Once it's finished, you can get to your OwnCloud with the URL
            Code:
            http://[i]name-of-machine[/i]/owncloud/
            If you really want to duplicate the full Dropbox or SpiderOak experience, you should consider installing OwnCloud on a server or virtual server hosted by a third party. That way, you don't have to worry about maintaining the underlying infrastructure. Linode, Rackspace, Amazon Web Services, and others are all possible candidates. Note that you'll also need to obtain an SSL certificate for the Apache server that OwnCloud will install, because you don't want to be logging into your OwnCloud using clear-text HTTP.

Finally, if you like the idea of OwnCloud but don't want to manage your own, consider OwnCube.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              The version of OwnCloud in the Precise repos is 3.0. It works well with SQLite, but it will default to MySQL if SQLite isn't already installed. So let's get that going for you.

Next, install SQLite and OwnCloud in one step:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install php5-sqlite owncloud
              There is something wrong now with php:
              when I try to open http:/localhost/owncloud chromium downloads a php file instead of opening it.

Should I perhaps install more php related packages?

The problem does not seem to lie in php. I can open the following just fine:
              http://php.net/manual/es/index.php

What now
              Last edited by carlosestensser; Apr 29, 2012, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Let's take a look at what's installed. Three commands, please:
                Code:
                dpkg -l | grep apache
                dpkg -l | grep php
                dpkg -l | grep sql

Comment

darwin@darwin-sdc1-kubuntu-pangolin:~$ dpkg -l | grep apache
                  ii apache2 2.2.22-1ubuntu1 Apache HTTP Server metapackage
                  ii apache2-mpm-worker 2.2.22-1ubuntu1 Apache HTTP Server - high speed threaded model
                  ii apache2-utils 2.2.22-1ubuntu1 utility programs for webservers
                  ii apache2.2-bin 2.2.22-1ubuntu1 Apache HTTP Server common binary files
                  ii apache2.2-common 2.2.22-1ubuntu1 Apache HTTP Server common files
                  darwin@darwin-sdc1-kubuntu-pangolin:~$ dpkg -l | grep php
                  ii php-auth 1.6.2-1ubuntu1 PHP PEAR modules for creating an authentication system
                  ii php-auth-http 2.1.6-4 HTTP authentication
                  ii php-auth-sasl 1.0.4-1 Abstraction of various SASL mechanism responses
                  ii php-config 1.10.12-1 Your configuration's swiss-army knife
                  ii php-html-common 1.2.5-2 base class for other HTML classes
                  ii php-html-safe 0.10.1-1 strip down all potentially dangerous content within HTML
                  ii php-http 1.4.1-1 PHP PEAR module for HTTP related stuff
                  ii php-http-request 1.4.4-3 provides an easy way to perform HTTP requests
                  ii php-http-upload 1.0.0b1-2 Easy and secure management of files submitted via HTML Forms
                  ii php-http-webdav-server 1.0.0RC4-2 WebDAV server base class
                  ii php-net-ipv6 1.2.2b-1 Check and validate IPv6 addresses
                  ii php-net-socket 1.0.9-2 PHP PEAR Network Socket Interface module
                  ii php-net-url 1.0.15-2 easy parsing of Urls
                  ii php-openid 2.2.2-1 PHP OpenID library
                  ii php-pear 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 PEAR - PHP Extension and Application Repository
                  ii php-xml-htmlsax3 3.0.0+cvs01112007-2 SAX parser for HTML and other badly formed XML documents
                  ii php-xml-parser 1.3.2-4 PHP PEAR module for parsing XML
                  ii php5 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (metapackage)
                  ii php5-adodb 5.04-6 Extension optimising the ADOdb database abstraction library
                  ii php5-auth-pam 0.4-10ubuntu1 A PHP5 extension for PAM authentication
                  ii php5-cgi 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (CGI binary)
                  ii php5-cli 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 command-line interpreter for the php5 scripting language
                  ii php5-common 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 Common files for packages built from the php5 source
                  ii php5-curl 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 CURL module for php5
                  ii php5-dev 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 Files for PHP5 module development
                  ii php5-enchant 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 Enchant module for php5
                  ii php5-exactimage 0.8.5-3build2 fast image manipulation library (PHP bindings)
                  ii php5-ffmpeg 0.6.0-2ubuntu3 audio and video support via ffmpeg for php5
                  ii php5-fpm 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (FPM-CGI binary)
                  ii php5-gd 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 GD module for php5
                  ii php5-geoip 1.0.7-4 GeoIP module for php5
                  ii php5-gmp 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 GMP module for php5
                  ii php5-imagick 3.1.0~rc1-1 ImageMagick module for php5
                  ii php5-imap 5.3.5-0ubuntu2 IMAP module for php5
                  ii php5-interbase 5.3.5-0ubuntu1 interbase/firebird module for php5
                  ii php5-intl 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 internationalisation module for php5
                  ii php5-lasso 2.3.5-4build2 Library for Liberty Alliance and SAML protocols - PHP 5 bindings
                  ii php5-ldap 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 LDAP module for php5
                  ii php5-librdf 1.0.13.1-2build1 PHP5 language bindings for the Redland RDF library
                  ii php5-mapscript 6.0.1-2ubuntu1 php5-cgi module for MapServer
                  ii php5-mcrypt 5.3.5-0ubuntu1 MCrypt module for php5
                  ii php5-memcache 3.0.6-1 memcache extension module for PHP5
                  ii php5-memcached 1.0.2-2 memcached extension module for PHP5, uses libmemcached
                  ii php5-midgard2 10.05.6-1 Midgard2 Content Repository - PHP5 language bindings and module
                  ii php5-ming 1:0.4.3-1.2ubuntu2 Ming module for php5
                  rc php5-mysql 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 MySQL module for php5
                  ii php5-mysqlnd 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 MySQL module for php5 (Native Driver)
                  ii php5-odbc 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 ODBC module for php5
                  ii php5-pgsql 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 PostgreSQL module for php5
                  ii php5-ps 1.3.6-6 ps module for PHP 5
                  ii php5-pspell 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 pspell module for php5
                  ii php5-radius 1.2.5-2ubuntu1 PECL radius module for PHP 5
                  ii php5-recode 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 recode module for php5
                  ii php5-remctl 3.0-5 PECL module for Kerberos-authenticated command execution
                  ii php5-rrd 1.0.5-1 rrd module for PHP 5
                  ii php5-sasl 0.1.0-1.1 Cyrus SASL extension for PHP 5
                  ii php5-snmp 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 SNMP module for php5
                  ii php5-sqlite 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 SQLite module for php5
                  ii php5-suhosin 0.9.33-1 advanced protection module for php5
                  ii php5-svn 1.0.1-1 PHP Bindings for the Subversion Revision control system
                  ii php5-sybase 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 Sybase / MS SQL Server module for php5
                  ii php5-tidy 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 tidy module for php5
                  ii php5-tokyo-tyrant 0.5.0-1 PHP interface to Tokyo Cabinet's network interface, Tokyo Tyrant
                  ii php5-uuid 1.6.2-1.1build3 OSSP uuid module for php5
                  ii php5-xcache 1.3.2-1 Fast, stable PHP opcode cacher
                  ii php5-xdebug 2.1.0-1 Xdebug Module for PHP 5
                  ii php5-xmlrpc 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 XML-RPC module for php5
                  ii php5-xsl 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 XSL module for php5
                  ii phpbb3 3.0.9-1 full-featured, skinnable non-threaded web forum
                  ii phpbb3-l10n 3.0.9-1 additional language files for phpBB
                  ii phpldapadmin 1.2.2-4ubuntu1 web based interface for administering LDAP servers
                  darwin@darwin-sdc1-kubuntu-pangolin:~$ dpkg -l | grep sql
                  ii akonadi-backend-mysql 1.7.2-0ubuntu1 MySQL storage backend for Akonadi
                  ii libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3 1.3.12+dfsg-3 Apache Portable Runtime Utility Library - SQLite3 Driver
                  ii libdbd-mysql-perl 4.020-1build2 Perl5 database interface to the MySQL database
                  ii libhsqldb-java 1.8.0.10-9ubuntu2 Java SQL database engine
                  ii libmysqlclient18 5.5.22-0ubuntu1 MySQL database client library
                  ii libmysqlcppconn5 1.1.0-3build1 MySQL Connector for C++ (library)
                  ii libqt4-sql 4:4.8.1-0ubuntu4 Qt 4 SQL module
                  ii libqt4-sql-mysql 4:4.8.1-0ubuntu4 Qt 4 MySQL database driver
                  ii libqt4-sql-sqlite 4:4.8.1-0ubuntu4 Qt 4 SQLite 3 database driver
                  ii libqtscript4-sql 0.2.0-0ubuntu1 Qt Script bindings for the Qt 4 SQL library
                  ii libreoffice-mysql-connector 1.0.1+LibO3.5.2-2ubuntu1 MySQL Connector extension for LibreOffice
                  ii libsqlite3-0 3.7.9-2ubuntu1 SQLite 3 shared library
                  ii mysql-client 5.5.22-0ubuntu1 MySQL database client (metapackage depending on the latest version)
                  ii mysql-client-5.5 5.5.22-0ubuntu1 MySQL database client binaries
                  ii mysql-client-core-5.5 5.5.22-0ubuntu1 MySQL database core client binaries
                  ii mysql-common 5.5.22-0ubuntu1 MySQL database common files, e.g. /etc/mysql/my.cnf
                  ii mysql-server-core-5.5 5.5.22-0ubuntu1 MySQL database server binaries
                  rc php5-mysql 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 MySQL module for php5
                  ii php5-mysqlnd 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 MySQL module for php5 (Native Driver)
                  ii php5-pgsql 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 PostgreSQL module for php5
                  ii php5-sqlite 5.3.10-1ubuntu3 SQLite module for php5

Comment

One package that's installed on my OwnCloud instance but missing from yours is libapache2-mod-php5. Which is odd, because this package is a dependency of several other packages that appear in your list. Try installing that.

Comment

Still the same result.

Comment

Did you restart Apache?
                        Code:
                        sudo service apache2 restart

Comment

yes

Comment

It appears that Apache is failing to parse the PHP files so rather than executing them, it simply delivers them as HTML to your browser.

As I'm rather a beginner myself when it comes to Apache, I can't offer any other immediate ideas. When I searched Google for "browser downloads php file", I found some interesting results. Perhaps his will help.

Comment

I installed pangolin in my notebook and I managed to install owncloud just fine (Actually, I just managed to login through the web browser, but I don't know what to do from now on).
                              The worst part is that I don't want owncloud in my notebook!

However, in my main computer I can't get it going: I reinstalled EVERY apache - mysl - sqlite - owncloud package but nothing happens, and I am sure that I am not missing any package since I have compared both systems.

Comment

Working...
                              X