This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

says ubuntu 12.04 when I boot

I am confused, I just did an apt get-install kubuntu-full, and ll seemed to go right, but when I reboot the login screen says that it is "Ubuntu 12.04" instead of Kubuntu, the original install was Ubuntu 11.10, and I wanted to install Kubuntu. When i check the "inforcenter" it says that the OS version is 3.2.0-23 generic, and that the KDE SC version is 4.8.2(4.8.2). I am new to this so am confused as to if I am running Kubuntu or Ubuntu? Please help me figure what it is. One time I tried to install Kubuntu from a disc but it would not let me dual boot like the Ubuntu disc would so that is why originally I used the Ubuntu disc.

The Grub menu doesn't say Kubuntu, as the OS is a Ubuntu kernel. It's the Desktop Environment (DE) -- KDE -- that imparts the Kubuntu flavor. When you actually boot and login, are you in the KDE/Plasma desktop, or the Gnome desktop?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You are running both, depending on how you define things. To oversimplify it somewhat, Ubuntu is the base OS, and Kubuntu is the KDE goodness on top of it (as opposed to another desktop environment like Unity or Gnome). To be precise, 3.2.0-23 is the version of the kernel you are running, not the OS.

It sounds like you still have GDM or LightDM as your login manager. An example of how to switch to KDM is here: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/07/how-t...ightdm-or.html if you want the Kubuntu experience from start to finish.

Comment

in answer to snowhog I am using the KDE Plasma Desktop, not Gnome or Unity. thank to both of you for you input, makes sense now I think,

Comment

Working...
        X