This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noob safety setup

I want to make my system secure. what firewall should i use?
    any idea what i can do to my browser (use opera) to make it secure?

Are you behind a router? Are you using a laptop?

If you are behind a router and not using a laptop (or at least one that doesn't leave your home or connect to insecure or public networks) then there is no need for an extra firewall on your computer (as the one in your router should be good enough). If you aren't behind a router then look at Firestarter, Guarddog or ufw.

As for the browser, as long as you don't go to suspect sites then you should be fine, if you are paranoid then look into getting a script/ad blocker (noscript for firefox works well, don't know one for opera though). But it mostly comes down to common sense, don't visit suspicious sites or download untrusted things and you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Skathed View Post
      I want to make my system secure. what firewall should i use?
      any idea what i can do to my browser (use opera) to make it secure?
      Before you go about installing various bits of software that purport to "make you more secure," it's always a good idea to first think about answers to the question "secure against what?" and then to think about the likelihood of potential risk exposure.

Help us understand more about how you use your computer, what you do with it, and where you connect. Then we might be able to offer more specific guidance.

Comment

Besides general uses of the internet. (facebook,banking, online shopping) i also use it to obtain tv programmes that do not air in my country.

Comment

When looking at Apple's OS-X we see a trend of attacks via Java.
          http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/n...eraction/11545
          Noscript may prevent such.

An other well known attack vector is via various Adobe programs like Flash and Acrobat.
          So not installing them is good for security but it can spoil your web experience...

Since a standard Kubuntu install does not run services there is little reason for a firewall, or looking at it in another way, Kubuntu has all ports closed except those you open.

Comment

Working...
          X