X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    Hi James147

I would greatly like for you to expand on this sentence from your post. Did you mean to say that the "Konqueror" system, in and of itself, can change things?

woodsmoke
    Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    Both are 'file browsers' and as such, if launched with kdesudo, permit the user to seriously screw up ones entire system -- without any warnings given.
    This is basically what I meant and most likely...

But bugs and custom service menus might also cause problems as they are run as root to.

It will also litter your directories with .directory files (with settings for the directory) owned as root all over your home folder, which will mean your settings aren't saved for those directories when you don't run it as root (a small probally unnoticeable side effect).
    Last edited by james147; Apr 11, 2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

james147@

Your 'correction' to kdesudo in my quote is noted. I specifically cited the use of sudo when launching either file browser, because doing so will ensure that the user can do much more harm -- without any warning -- than launching either browser with kdesudo.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        james147@

Your 'correction' to kdesudo in my quote is noted. I specifically cited the use of sudo when launching either file browser, because doing so will ensure that the user can do much more harm -- without any warning -- than launching either browser with kdesudo.
        What more harm can they do? Besides the inherent risks of the act of running a gui program with just sudo locking up your user account...

After kdesudo has launched the program it runs with full root permissions just like it would with sudo and wont ask questions beyond what it would normally do.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
          What more harm can they do? ... After kdesudo has launched the program it runs with full root permissions just like it would with sudo and wont ask questions beyond what it would normally do.
          We are (okay, I am) nit picking. More harm (assuming the system isn't simply destroyed) can be done to the users /home directory when using either browser launched with sudo than kdesudo, but you and I both understand that.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I want to change the Login Screen. My computer seems to download alternate screens, however they do not appear as options after downloading them. A couple of years ago, I had a similar problem and found that once in a Root GUI, my computer would accept the downloads. Now in Kubuntu 12.04, the same procedure that created a root user will not work.
            This is a Known issue in that KCM you can just run that kcm as root use alt+f2 and run
            Code:
            kdesudo kcmshell4 kdm
            this will let you add download via get new stuff new kdm themes (since they install to /etc really to use that get new you should be root..) .

and as for your other issue. you may have to add a start up script you can do this via System Settings -> statup/shutdown -> autostart add ->script . your script will look something like this

Code:
            #!/bin/bash
            xrandr --size  3600x1080
            but you add the script to start up should try that xrandr and make sure that it sets the resolution the way that you want.

on a side note , your problems will NOT be solved by running the gui as root..
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

James137,

Aside from the issue of running as 'root', I had also had trouble customising my login screen (I really dislike the default) and I appreciate your suggestion on how to run just that applet as 'kdesudo'. I was able to access the 'get new themes' and apply them. Now I have a nifty new login screen!

Thanx lots
              capt-zero

p.s. I really get a lot of good information when everyone gets off on a tangent. so thanx to everyone who responded to this thread.

Comment

Working...
              X