This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it work on Wolvol computers?

Ok, in these tough economic times, a lot of people are desperate. In my case, desperate enough to look at those cheap Wolvol netbooks that ebay and amazon are now littered with. Unlike ebay, though, amazon has reviews... and almost all of the reviews are negative. The computers in question come with an outdated copy of the Andriod OS (2.2), and everyone complains they stop working, won't connect to the net, etc.. Well, in my case, I just need what amounts to an electronic notebook to write in... so I don't need it to do much. My question is this... does anybody here own one of these pathetic devices, and have they been able to turn it into a functioning device with this, or any other distro of linux?

I was just wondering if, since the complaints about these cheap devices are mostly os-related, the problem might be fixed with linux.

Android is Linux, and I would think that at the cost, these wolvol computers are made with cheap hardware. Since you are already looking at ebay you might consider a used laptop instead. I know I got a serviceable used compaq for my daughter from a seller called gazelle-store for $122 and installed Ubuntu on it.
    I trust Microsoft about as far as I can comfortably spit a dead rat.

Comment

What kind of processor is in that thing? Wolvol's own site is down at the moment. Some Googling showed a handful of results, usually some variant of an ARM processor manufactured by VIA. Do any of the ARM versions of Ubuntu support the particular processor in the Wolvol? That's the thing you'll need to find out.

Comment

Product Features and Technical Details

Product Features
        • Built-in 1.3 mp Camera, Slim and Light Weight Pink Mini Laptop Android 2.2, FLASH 10.1, WiFi and external 3G
        • 7" digital panel, 800*480 pixels Powerd by VIA 8650 800MHz, Battery 1800mAh
        • 2 Built-in stereo speaker, 2 Jacks MIC in & Headphone out, 3 x USB 2.0 Ports, SD Card Reader
        • 256mb Ram, "4"GB HD (Extendable up to 16GB)
        • Use TONS of free application available from GOOGLE ANDROID MARKET And many more other things
        Processor, Memory, and Motherboard
        • Hardware Platform: PC
        • Processor: Unknown
        Hard Drive
        • Size: 4 GB
        Cases and Expandability
        • Size (LWH): 8.39 inches, 5.51 inches, 1.18 inches
        • Weight: 1.32 pounds

Gotta love specs like these. Processor unknown!? Sure, I'll buy one of these -- not.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Use TONS of free application available from GOOGLE ANDROID MARKET And many more other things
          Software has mass?

Comment

I'd be more concerned about the "And many more other things" What 'other things' are they talking about?
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              I'd be more concerned about the "And many more other things" What 'other things' are they talking about?
              I actually purchased the following Wolvol laptop http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J22OLC from Amazon. I knew in advance this wont allow me to do what a regular computer does, the price says it all... Though its a cute tiny laptop on the go, i use it to check my emails and mostly browse information websites. The Android build system is pretty fun to use. It also has a camera installed which i sometime use it to capture pictures or videos and can share it with anyone having it saved in the laptop without needing to travel with all my photo memory cards. What i didn't know prior purchasing about the camera, i understood its a webcam to chat, but instead its just a camera. In a short sentence i'd describe it as a "Little Light Cute Computer with Internet On the Go".

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                Software has mass?
                Yes, not too long ago it was claimed all data on the internet has a total mass comparable to a strawberry.
                http://www.itworld.com/networking/21...uch-strawberry

Comment

Originally posted by VDUK View Post
                  The Android build system is pretty fun to use.
                  But it's Froyo...so old! Bet the guys on xda-developers will get that thing rooted soon...

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                  Yes, not too long ago it was claimed all data on the internet has a total mass comparable to a strawberry.
                  How sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by VDUK View Post
                    I actually purchased the following Wolvol laptop http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J22OLC from Amazon. I knew in advance this wont allow me to do what a regular computer does, the price says it all... Though its a cute tiny laptop on the go, i use it to check my emails and mostly browse information websites. The Android build system is pretty fun to use. It also has a camera installed which i sometime use it to capture pictures or videos and can share it with anyone having it saved in the laptop without needing to travel with all my photo memory cards. What i didn't know prior purchasing about the camera, i understood its a webcam to chat, but instead its just a camera. In a short sentence i'd describe it as a "Little Light Cute Computer with Internet On the Go".

Based on your link it uses the Intel Atom processor.

EDIT: Well that site is conflicting in specs. The picture states Intel Atom but the SPEC sheet below all that states "VIA Processor 0.8GHz"
                    Last edited by MoonRise; Apr 24, 2012, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X