This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

software sources and muon

Not sure when this started but I noticed it this week for sure, I was trying to add a new software ppa for a program i wanted to install , opened up muon software center, clicked on settings, and configure software sources. It then pops the admin password as usual and then blanks the right side of the window and reloads it and never goes to the software sources, so then i tried to do it through the muon package manager, again it pops the admin password prompt, after entering the password it goes through the motions of reloading all sources, but never opens the screen to allow me to add or remove sources. Is there a work around? is this a known issue?
    I have also done some searching and one answer was to sudo apt-get purge muon followed by sudo apt-get install muon i tried that and there is no change.
    I know it can be done through konsole but I wanted to know that muon is misbehaving at least on my install.
    Last edited by bubblecruntz; Apr 09, 2012, 11:21 AM.

The software sources editor is an external program. What happens if you try to run "kdesudo software-properties-kde" from alt + f2 or from konsole?

Comment

I just ran what you asked, and again it popped up the admin password prompt and that was all, after entering my password, that window closed and that was all, nothing else opened.

I hope this worked I added a screen shot of the password prompt from muon package manager, there is a line that looks like the command to be run. not sure maybe it's always there? But incase it isn't I included it

Ok incase you can't read that, it says pretty much what you asked my to enter via the alt-f2 prompt. with a -dont update and -attach 90177558
      Attached Files
      Last edited by bubblecruntz; Apr 09, 2012, 03:18 PM. Reason: added a screen shot

Comment

Type software-properties-kde into the search bar in Muon to verify the application is installed. If it isn't install it.
        Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

ok did that also, and it was already installed version number 0.81.13.3

Comment

Cheers. So you are running 11.10 correct?

Run the following in a konsole and let's see what happens. Be sure to take note of any errors displayed...

kdesudo software-properties-kde
            Last edited by bra|10n; Apr 09, 2012, 03:40 PM.

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

ok pasting what came up..
              Traceback (most recent call last):
              File "/usr/bin/software-properties-kde", line 127, in <module>
              app = SoftwarePropertiesKDE(datadir=data_dir, options=options, file=file, attachWinID=attachWinID)
              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/kde/SoftwarePropertiesKDE.py", line 67, in __init__
              SoftwareProperties.__init__(self, options=options, datadir=datadir)
              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 96, in __init__
              self.reload_sourceslist()
              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 580, in reload_sourceslist
              self.distro.get_sources(self.sourceslist)
              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptsources/distro.py", line 91, in get_sources
              raise NoDistroTemplateException("Error: could not find a "
              aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template

ooohhh.... could this all be cause I edited the grub to say Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu?

Comment

Ok it seems well broken.
                Let's try re-installing all Muon related packages. Again it's important to note any errors.

In a konsole,

kdesudo apt-get install muon && kdesudo apt-get install muon-updater && kdesudo apt-get install muon-installer && kdesudo apt-get install libmuonprivate1 && kdesudo apt-get install libdebconf-kde0 && kdesudo apt-get install muon-notifier

You should receive 6 password prompts all going well.

Comment

not gonna paste the whole konsole, but it pretty much said the same thing fro each of the installs with the exception of the name of the item installed "xxxxx is already the newest version" then "The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
                  libxi6:i386
                  Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
                  I am runing the amd64 version so i assume that is the reason for that.

Comment

Please detail your system, Ubuntu or Kubuntu, release etc

Comment

OK I think I have the problem solved, and not to take anything away from your help, it was your suggestion to run "kdesudo software-properties-kde" and the errors I got that sparked my memory. I while back I was asking how to change the Grub listing to says "kubuntu" instead of Ubuntu, and was told if i edit the lsb-release file to say Kubuntu. But here is the issue,
                      DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
                      DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.10
                      DISTRIB_CODENAME=oneiric
                      DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Kubuntu 11.10"
                      this way works, it still says "kubuntu" on the grub list when booting, and now also runs the software sources. But before I also had the DISTRIB_ID=Kubuntu and that was obviously effecting the software sources, and it couldn't find the proper distrubtution.
                      So anyone else that just wants the name on the grub changed but doesn't want to screw up the software sources.....don't mess with the first line :P

Comment

Ok. Glad you've got it fixed. Please mark the thread as solved if you would, cheers.

Comment

Working...
                        X