X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Linux

Dear friends
    i'm very happy to write to you, mainly becouse it means that i'm able to connect my PC on the net!!!
    However there are some question that i have:
    1) How can i understand if the 3d graphic, sound card work at their max, or need some configuration?
    2) After my installation i'm connected by the University net, which is really fast, but the ratio to apt upgrade download was near 36-56 kB/s...maybe there is a ploblem with the ethernet card, isn't it?
    -Where can i see the connection speed?

Thanks for your replays
    TEo

Re: New to Linux

Answer to #1:

Type "glxgears" in a console (that DOS-like text box thing). If it goes fast, great, if it's jerky, not so great. There should be some numbers too.

As for sound - if it works, it works

Answer to #2:

Depends on a LOT of factors outside your control. d/l from the 'net depends on who else is on the network and how many others are d/l from the apt-get repository. Nothing you can do about that

Hope that helps.

Comment

If you're using an Nvidia based card this will help. It has to do with gaming but it will install Nvidia's driver which will result in much better graphics acceleration than with the standard driver.

http://www.linuxloader.com/modules.p...pid=28&page=32

PDR60

Comment

Dear friends
        thanks a lot for your reply!!
        U r very kind.

P.S. the gears work very well

Comment

PDR60,

Hey! Good to see you here. Also glad to see you'r posting your Kubuntu how-to around these forums. It will definitely benefit users, especially the new ones. Great job!

I made the switch from Mandriva to Kubuntu on June 1st when Dapper came out and I'm loving it. I don't foresee ever using Mandriva as my main OS again. I'll keep it on a spare box of course to keep building rpms for http://seerofsouls.com of course since the community relies on it greatly.

Anyways, just wanted to say 'hey' and glad to see ya.

Comment

Working...
          X