X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all my network interfaces suddenly have stopped working

Hi
    Not exactly a newbie but things change so fast I might as well be.

Have successfully been running the 11.04 on my net-book for many months, including my wireless and wired connection.
    However kubuntu froze and when I rebooted the only interface I can see subsequently when issuing ifconfig
    is lo, no mention of eth0 or wlan0.Naturally when I try to see any networks nothing.

However if I boot via the recovery kernel option and then chose the network option I do now see
    both eth0 and wlan0. However while I can connect on eth0 I cannot get a connection on wlan0.
    I note that I also see wlan0:ahavi( I think that is the spelling) it has a network number but
    it is frozen because it is connected to the wrong network.
    (I can see this from iwlist wlan0 scanning. Same ESSID but different channel!

Still however when rebooting via normal route still the only interface is lo. What is the difference between the two route?

This all seems extremely bazaar and very frustrating!

The commands that I used to control the network with, ifup and ifdown with set scripts, do not seem to be there,
    neither do I know where the network startup script script is or how Ican see the error message. If all the error messages
    go to /var/log/messages then there seems little helpful information in there. Nor do I understand why booting via the recovery kernel
    at least lets me see eth0 and wlan0 (even if the wireless does not work). I feel I have little control over the new manager.

Any ideas about this would be welcome otherwise a complete reinstall is all I can think of but I have spent some time tailoring this system.

Everything works fine when booted into windows xp.

THANKS

Have you checked to see if you need to activate proprietary drivers for your wireless? I believe its in System > Additional Drivers.
    I trust Microsoft about as far as I can comfortably spit a dead rat.

Comment

Working...
    X