X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu sudo unlock/lock?

Hello,

So I was trying to add myself to admin in recovery (gpasswd -a <user> admin) I am successful but every time I "exit" kubuntu asks me to type in my login and the password. I don't know why but either the password is locked or the password is different then my own. Whenever I type nothing shows up after password:<where my password would be> I don't know if this is normal (the new guy) but every time I try a sudo command and try to enter my password this problem arises. What I can tell from what I know is sudo is locked, and I have searched how to unlock it but there is absolutely nothing that I have found that explains how to do this. This is my first time ever using this and any linux OS and I really would like to use it

Oh and I have it dual booted with windows 7 on a 60 Gb partition

super >

And thanks

Self Solved
    Last edited by zombasaurus; Mar 28, 2012, 05:51 PM.
    Kubuntu 11.10. Wubi install on 60 Gb partition (temporary till takeover). 0.97-29ubuntu64

First, welcome to KFN. Second, please don't post like this. It helps no one else. You 'had a problem' and posted a question. You solved it yourself - good - but you didn't post what you did, and that is what helps others. This forum is all about helping others.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      First, welcome to KFN. Second, please don't post like this. It helps no one else. You 'had a problem' and posted a question. You solved it yourself - good - but you didn't post what you did, and that is what helps others. This forum is all about helping others.
      Thanks ill fix it when my brain starts working (just woke up)

Edit:

O.k. so I had just installed Kubuntu without updating, I had problems updating with Muon Package Manager (and found no solution other than this). So I was going to update from konsole but for some reason even after adding myself to admin (with (gpasswd -a <user> admin)) in recovery mode my password wouldn't work, so I had to change it, in recovery mode after adding myself to the admin I used this code to change the sudo password code: init=/bin/sh (use responsibly) It prompted me with a new password I entered and reentered then code: sudo reboot then i went into kubuntu opened konsole and entered sudo apt-get update then eventually Y and finally after like 4 times of trying to install I updated perfectly and am using kubuntu now.

also lol I didn't know the password was invisible

sorry about my first post but this should clear things up
      Last edited by zombasaurus; Mar 29, 2012, 08:08 AM.
      Kubuntu 11.10. Wubi install on 60 Gb partition (temporary till takeover). 0.97-29ubuntu64

Comment

their should not have been any reason to do any of this .......... when you install Kubuntu and set YOUR password you are the administrator and sudo should work with your password(it dose not display on screen when you type it)

muon sometimes has trouble still ......... you should do your updates from the command line anyway and/or install synaptic.

the code
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        just updates the package list(list of avalabel software from the repos you have enabeld)
        Code:
        sudo apt-get upgrade
        dose the upgrading of packages if thares updates to the ver. you have.

Code:
        sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        will update you to the next ver. of the software you have if thares a ver. upgrade for it .......it dose not take you to the next ver. of Kubuntu as one mite think .
        so the one liner
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        is what most of us use for keeping up to date

VINNY
        Last edited by vinnywright; Mar 29, 2012, 12:31 PM.
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

No one has preached Synaptic louder or more often than I have. BUT .... I have deleted it in favor of Muon which, IMO, has arrived.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X