This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot enable my wireless device

This is very strange. I'm in the network settings menu. I've disabled my ethernet connection (which doesn't seem to work either).

I click on one of the two apparent "Wireless devices" that I have, and click enable. After a time, it appears to be enabled (green check mark ect), but after a few seconds, reverts back to being disabled.

What the hell is going on?

Also, even when my ethernet is activated and inserted/connected properly, I still can't access the internet.

Any help extremely appreciated, I'm sorry if this is a very newbish question. This is my first time using a Linux distro.

Re: Cannot enable my wireless device

Can you please give more details on the wireless adapter type/model etc. As I had this problem caused by the drivers not being installed.
    Noooooooooobie learning.

Comment

Netgear WG511 is the model. Theres also an internal wireless thingy, but I don't know its model. The ethernet connection doesn't work either, could anyone help me with that??

How would I get drivers? Download them on a different computer ande rip em to a cd?

The driver I found online was for windows, would it work on Kubuntu anyways?

Comment

The windows driver should work with ndiswrapper. To get your ethernet connection working have you tried booting the computer with the network cable connected. I know this sounds stupid but I found this made my ethernet work when I was setting up my wireless. If it does use Adept to get "ndiswrapper-utils" and "knetworkmanager"

Then you can get your wireless up and running. It would really help if you could find out your wireless card make/model. If it is say a broadcom, then you will have to "blacklist" it but you can sort that later.
        Noooooooooobie learning.

Comment

Working...
        X