X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patition Manager

Hi guys,
    As usual I have installed kubuntu on my hard disk. But I would like to create a partition for kubuntu and other software and a second partition for my user files. To do this I have to unmount the boot disk. But when I do so will I lose the OS? Or can I create a second partition for my user files and the OS and other software will stay on the first (boot) partition?
    Regards, Sigurd

you should do that kind of partitioning durring set up . if you have to do it after the setup of the os you will need to do so from a live disk (even the kubuntu installer will work)

what you would have to do is resize the "/" (root) partition to make space for the new partition , and then create the new /home (that what it will be) partition, then copy the contents of your old /home to the new partition (but not the /home folder itself just the contents). after this is done you then have to edit your /etc/fstab so that it mounts the new partition as /home and your files will be there .

the line for your fstab will be something like this

UUID=<partitions UUID> /home ext4 defaults 0 2

to find your partitions UUID you can use the command "sudo blkid" to list all partitons. or if you know its device use sudo blkid <dev>
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I finally got around to creating a separate /home partition. Followed this guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pa...ng/Home/Moving

Worked well. Take the usual "backup your data first" warnings seriously.

Comment

Hi,
        I tried to act as described above. But the partition manager started from a live CD crashed. So I terminated the computer. But a new start showed that the OS already was gone.
        This failure of the partition manager enabled me to learn how to partition at the OS installation using the manual installation . Now I have everthing as wished.
        Regards, Sigurd

Comment

Working...
        X