This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Help

Hey people, just started using Kubuntu, have installed the latest release (11.10). A couple of questions:

1) Whenever I switch my laptop on there is a blue screen with a list of different kubuntu setups to use - This is GNU Grub. If I leave it it automatically selects the first one and kubuntu boots up normally. Is there any way to bypass this?

2) Once I've logged in and am at my desktop, a box pops up asking for one programs permission to open another program, and I have to enter my password yet again. Anyway to stop this? I believe this is relating to kubuntu connecting to the internet somehow.

3) What DVD copying software should I use. I'm thikning of playing aroudn with other distros, but am a complete newbie on burning them to disc.

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Guest; Mar 05, 2012, 02:18 PM.

1) You can log in automatically. See e.g. http://chafflube.wordpress.com/2010/...in-on-kubuntu/ (- although it is not a great hardship to wait a few seconds.)

2) You need to be more specific. Is it a keyring? Which keyring?

3)K3b is probably the best.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

1) if i understand you, you want to skeep the os choosing menu, so install startupmanager, run it and set the timeout for as much as you want ( iset it to one second, so i can boot windows or ubuntu with other kernel
      2)don't you have an option to allow access next time (i am not using english locale so i don't know the exact name for it)

Comment

Re (1) I don't think 'autostart' is a good option as it removes all your security. You want to stop the GRUB menu from displaying as ohadcn mentioned - but startupmanager is not a great app in my opinion - kde-config-grub2 is more integrated to KDE. When installed you'll find it in System Settings > Startup & Shutdown.

Or you can just edit a system file: edit /etc/default/grub and change the GRUB_TIMEOUT line to read
        Code:
        GRUB_TIMEOUT="0"
        And then run
        Code:
        sudo update-grub
        to regenerate the menu.
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by NonStop View Post
          Hey people, just started using Kubuntu, have installed the latest release (11.10). A couple of questions:

1) Whenever I switch my laptop on there is a blue screen with a list of different kubuntu setups to use - This is GNU Grub. If I leave it it automatically selects the first one and kubuntu boots up normally. Is there any way to bypass this?

2) Once I've logged in and am at my desktop, a box pops up asking for one programs permission to open another program, and I have to enter my password yet again. Anyway to stop this? I believe this is relating to kubuntu connecting to the internet somehow.

3) What DVD copying software should I use. I'm thikning of playing aroudn with other distros, but am a complete newbie on burning them to disc.

Thank you in advance!
          Funny how people read things differently. I assumed #1 meant you wanted to stop the auto-boot process but you could have just as easily meant no boot menu at all. More info needed there.

#2: Again, not enough info. I assumed you've got Restore Previous Session enabled so whatever program (you didn't say which) is asking for permission to run is left running when you log out. Starting your wifi would indeed request a password. Assuming (again) you opted to put a password in when you ran KWallet for the first time, it will continue to as for a password. Start by saying what exactly is happening and what you want to happen.

#3 Copying, ripping, or burning? I guess you meant burn a DVD image to a blank? K3B will work well for this, but I wouldn't use it to copy a DVD necessarily.

The best advice I can give a new user is in the link labeled "ReadMe" in my signature. You'll get much more help if you follow some of what's recommended there...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X