Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System crash following update (appx 5 packages)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System crash following update (appx 5 packages)

I attempted re-install of Kubuntu 10.04 which failed with the suggestion that the CD may be defective. I then attempted install of Kubuntu 10.10 which failed during the installation process with the below error messages.

(A few days ago, I got notification of appx. 5 package updates. It suggested reboot of the system after completion. When I attempted to boot the system, I ended with a black screen which also had a message that I could press F12 to use Yakuake. I did usual things like dpkg --configure -a which did not provided any solution to the black screen. I then decided to reinstall the OS and completed what is written in the first paragraph above.)

Since the installation failed, I can probably repair the original installation if anyone can help me using a Konsole.

Error occurred while installing packages:
    E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    The following packages are in a broken state:
    This may be due to using an old installer image, or it may be due to a bug in some of the packages listed above.More details may be found in /var/log/syslog. The installer will try to continue anyway, but may fail at a later point, and will not be able to install or remove other packages (possibly including itself) from the installed system. You should first look for newer versions of your installer image, or failing that report the problem to your distributor.

I can access a shell, but have inadequate experience to use it without help. I was not able to boot to a repair package, only the normal HDD boot or CD ROM.

I do not know how to copy the above mentioned syslog without help. This is a new set of problems for me that has never occurred previously. I am most comfortable using a GUI. TIA
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Feb 26, 2012, 12:29 AM. Reason: after thought

I've never liked Adept(someone tell me Kubuntu doesn't use it anymore!) for precisely this reason.. it's always breaking things. it's almost better to use it to check for updates and then search for the package online, or use another package manager. enough of the mini-rant:

since you do have access via the shell, you can get to the the syslog by doing the following.
    1. type "cd .." press enter.
    2. repeat the above.
    3. then type "cd var/log/" then press enter.
    4. type "nano syslog" then press enter.
    From there, all you should have to do is copy down what it says, and post back. someone should be able to help you after that, assuming the file still exists(it should unless you reformatted recently).

Comment

OK, I know I'm nit-picking but steps 1 and 2 are unnecessary. In step 3 just do "cd /var/log/" then press enter.
      Last edited by Rod J; Feb 26, 2012, 11:02 PM.
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

yeah, I know it should be unnecessary, but it doesn't always work that way for some reason. by all rights the first 3 steps should also be unnecessary, and issue "nano /var/log/syslog", but it doesn't necessarily work that way either. *shrugs* I just posted the way that was guaranteed to work the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by sir_cheats_a_lot View Post
          I've never liked Adept(someone tell me Kubuntu doesn't use it anymore!) for precisely this reason.. it's always breaking things. it's almost better to use it to check for updates and then search for the package online, or use another package manager. enough of the mini-rant:

since you do have access via the shell, you can get to the the syslog by doing the following.
          1. type "cd .." press enter.
          2. repeat the above.
          3. then type "cd var/log/" then press enter.
          4. type "nano syslog" then press enter.
          From there, all you should have to do is copy down what it says, and post back. someone should be able to help you after that, assuming the file still exists(it should unless you reformatted recently).
          After I posted, I remembered I had a supergrub2 cd and attempted to boot using it. I was unsuccessful, and now the system boots differently. When I attempt to boot the system, the boot was interrupted with the following error:

no such device: 3b73ef6b-068d-493a-9b04-e5b600509d62.
          grub rescue> (with a blinking cursor)

It is not a normal command prompt, and I do not know how to get a shell now. Is there a way to fix this problem using this prompt? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X