Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I change mount point after installation?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I change mount point after installation?

Originally posted by oshunlulvr View Post
    /media is reserved by Ubuntu (and variants) as a default for use as a mounting point for removable media. If you insert a CDROM or USB drive, this is where it is mounted under an appropriate sub-directory such as /media/CDROM or /media/DISK and so on. These target subdirectories will have the requisite permissions for user access (depending on HAL or UDEV rules).

So the short answer to "Is this normal?" is yes. What isn't normal is a non-root user attempting to use a reserved directory for his own file storage. Normal user access at the file level (read,write,execute) is reserved for that users /home/<INSERTYOURUSERNAMEHERE> and that's it. This is one major reason why we linux users don't need virus software and windows users do. In the windows world, file access is granted to everyone (including virus authors) and that's why this seems strange to you.

Not to worry! We can work this out!

First of all, am I to assume you've created a partition for file storage and mounted it as /media? I ask this because you referenced fstab which leads me to believe this is the case. If so, I suggest simply creating a different non-reserved mount point and mounting this partition there. This will automagically give you access to all your downloaded files.

If you are the only user of this system or wish to be the only user accessing this partition, the easiest thing to do is create a subdirectory under your home directory and mount it there. Otherwise, you might use a directory like /files, give it it's own group ownership like "shared", and add the users you want to be able to use this partition to the "shared" group.
    how can i change mount point after instalation? i would like to avoid reinstall the system, i just want to use my partitions as normal user, without typing pasword for any access to them (i mounted them in /media, because in some forums it was suggested as appropriate place for partitions which i want to be seen in places in dolphin, now i know it was a mistacke, but how can i change it withou reinstall)
    thanx...

you can edit your fstab and give it a new mount point
    Code:
    kdesudo kate /etc/fstab
    or you can chown the mounted folder in /media..
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
      you can edit your fstab and give it a new mount point
      Code:
      kdesudo kate /etc/fstab
      or you can chown the mounted folder in /media..
      chown doesn't work. i mean, it does change owner of the folder, but i still must type password to mount partition
      i'll try to change /etc/fstab

Comment

oh sorry i read this wrong i though you needed the password to write to the folder. you should add all mounts to your fstab. then the system will mount them on boot for you.

Comment

yes it does mount them on boot, but i have to type password to actually mount them! how could i avoid this typing password?

Comment

it they mount on boot why do you need to mount them again? if you need to give a password to mount them they must not be mounted on boot... can you post your fstab line for this mount please.

Comment

Code:
              # /media/filmovi was on /dev/sda7 during installation
              UUID=fe6245e6-cfab-4a3e-838c-a981483cbcc5 /media/filmovi  ext4    defaults        0       2
              it's the same for all 4 partitions. should i put something else instead default?

Comment

i don't see a reason you should have to mount this at all.. in my etc/fstab the line to mount my /home folder looks just the same. when is it asking for the password , on login , when you view the contents etc. also what does the dialog say exactly? im a bit confused because that should automount since it looks to be a correct fstab entry.

Comment

it ask for password after logon, and the dialog say "password to use this device"!

Comment

im at a loss i just don't see any reason for you to get this dialog. try this log out of kde. hit alt+crtl+f1 to switch to a tty. log in there and run the command 'mount' is that device mounted? (then logout and alt+crtl+f7 to get back to kdm) if the device shows as mounted when in the cli , perhaps there is an error in kde somewhere. if you ingore that dialog and don't give it your password can you browse that folder and see the correct contents?

edit: might be best to try the tty switch from a fresh boot.
                    Last edited by sithlord48; Feb 10, 2012, 10:55 AM. Reason: additional info added

Comment

im at a loss i just don't see any reason for you to get this dialog. try this log out of kde. hit alt+crtl+f1 to switch to a tty. log in there and run the command 'mount' is that device mounted? (then logout and alt+crtl+f7 to get back to kdm) if the device shows as mounted when in the cli , perhaps there is an error in kde somewhere. if you ingore that dialog and don't give it your password can you browse that folder and see the correct contents?

edit: might be best to try the tty switch from a fresh boot.
                      yes, i normally can browse folders, and write in them...

Comment

but can you browse and r/w to the mount point in question? for instance /media/<yourdir> , if its not mounted you should see an empty folder but if its mounted you should see the contents of the drive or share you have mounted. if you can see and r/w to this path that dialog is for another device (then the natural question is what device...)

Comment

Originally posted by cy3a View Post
                          Code:
                          # /media/filmovi was on /dev/sda7 during installation
                          UUID=fe6245e6-cfab-4a3e-838c-a981483cbcc5 /media/filmovi  ext4    defaults        0       2
                          it's the same for all 4 partitions. should i put something else instead default?
                          Do the mount point exist (ie /media/filmovi) before you try to mount them? All entries in /etc/fstab need the directory to exist at the time it tryes to mount them otherwise it wont... but if you mount them in kde (which will ask for a password if they are internal devices) , it will create the mount point for you before mounting (and delete it after unmounting).

Comment

but can you browse and r/w to the mount point in question? for instance /media/<yourdir> , if its not mounted you should see an empty folder but if its mounted you should see the contents of the drive or share you have mounted. if you can see and r/w to this path that dialog is for another device (then the natural question is what device...)
                            it is mounted, i can normaly browse, r/w in ALL folders inside /media
                            i really don't know which device try password for use it... i just skip that dialog, and working just fine...

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                              Do the mount point exist (ie /media/filmovi) before you try to mount them? All entries in /etc/fstab need the directory to exist at the time it tryes to mount them otherwise it wont... but if you mount them in kde (which will ask for a password if they are internal devices) , it will create the mount point for you before mounting (and delete it after unmounting).
                              i mount in kde, and they exist after i log on, and i can see them, browse them and r/w in them!

Comment

Working...
                              X