Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building server from scratch...maybe, ensure everything is compatible with Kubuntu

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building server from scratch...maybe, ensure everything is compatible with Kubuntu

Currently running an old HP workstation with Kubuntu / windows xp. This is being used as a fileserver.

We have decided to upgrade this box, thinking about building server from scratch with no window os. How do I find out if everything I get is compatible with Kubuntu. Is there somewhere I can look everything up to ensure it will work?

Also looking at boxes complete with no OS. Since box is just being used as simple file server for now, trying to find something around 300 or so.

The only way to be 100% sure is testing or previous owners reports. IMO, most of the "tricky" hardware - sound, video, wireless - isn't really useful in a pure server anyway. I would start by deciding what you're going to do with it then picking either known working hardware or something not too new.

My server (media, torrents, printers, scanners, dlna, nfs, samba) is a cheap Mini-ITX Atom based mobo with cheap RAM and 6TB hard drive space (so far). Everything I need to do works well.

Please Read Me

Comment

Looking at the Fujitsu PRIMERGY tx100 s2.
      sound, video and wireless not issue, using it jsut as a stable file server.

Comment

That's quite a powerful machine for a home file server. What are you going to have to pay for it? The good news is it appears Fujitsu mentions linux in their promotional material. I woudl thus assume the hardware is linux compatible.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X