X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return to login screen..

Hello,

Hope you can help. I've used Ubuntu a lot before and recently switched to Kubuntu (which I prefer now!)

My issue is that when I start certain programs, the screen goes black and returns me straight to the login screen. Programs its happened with are: VirtualBox, Google Earth and Firefox. Sometimes when I log back in after this has happened the programs might work again. I guess that means it has something to do with the X server, but I'm not clever enough to work out what . Any ideas?

Details of computer follow.

Thanks,

Gapintheclouds

Kubuntu 11.10 (only OS on the system)
    KDE 4.7.4
    GRUB 0.97-29ubuntu64
    Desktop PC, Dell Optiplex 790
    Intel Core i7-2600 (64bit)
    Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    4GB RAM
    1TB SATA HDD (internal)
    DVD+/-RW drive (internal)

Check ~/.xsession-errors for any hints on what went wrong.

Comment

Thanks james147. That file is a rather large 34MB ! Any ideas what I need to look out for in it? Any good search terms I could try? Cheers.

Comment

Rename it, wait for it to happen again and then look at the end of it straight away.

Edit: also. 34MB is quite allot for that file :S you might want to go though it and see whats been happening on your system... its an error log so should be empty if your system is running perfectly, 34mb sounds like something is barfing horribly :S
        Last edited by james147; Feb 07, 2012, 09:26 AM.

Comment

There's a lot of nepomuk and akondi stuff. There are many lines of:

akonadi_kabc_resource_1(1830)/akonadiserializer (addressee) Akonadi::SerializerPluginAddressee::deserialize: Empty addressee object!
          And the occasional:

"/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub(2049)" Soprano: "SQLExecDirect failed on query 'sparql select distinct ?r ?reqProp1 (bif:concat(bif:search_excerpt(bif:vector('hilger' ), ?v7),bif:search_excerpt(bif:vector('hilger'), ?v8),bif:search_excerpt(bif:vector('hilger'), ?v10),bif:search_excerpt(bif:vector('hilger'), ?v6))) as ?_n_f_t_m_ex_ where { { ' (iODBC Error: [OpenLink][Virtuoso iODBC Driver][Virtuoso Server]SQ074: Line 1: SP030: SPARQL compiler, line 1: syntax error at ';' at '' immediately before end of statement)"
          And every now and then an Opera related one:

(operapluginwrapper-ia32-linux:6913): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Comment

I've had a bit of a look around and it seems to be related to this: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=235787

Thanks for putting me in the right direction .

Comment

No solution, but FWIW, I had the same problem on my previous computer with GTK apps like Firefox, Thunderbird, etc. If I logged out and back in, without restarting X, starting FF, TB, etc. would send me back to the login screen. Looked at a lot of .xsession-errors and Xorg log lines and did a lot of searching. Never did figure it out. I just got in the habit, when I needed to logout, of using Menu to restart X before logging back in.

Comment

Thanks for that ronw. That seems to have solved the problem, although I guess it would be nicer not to have to worry about it.. Maybe I'll try a grand reinstall. I don't remember having this problem with Ubuntu, but I do prefer KDE!!

Comment

Working...
                X