This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I get KDE Kubuntu back?

On some page or post I saw an explanation about changing desktops. Since I am so new to this wonderful world of Linux, I decided to try a different desktop from KDE, so now I have what I guess is Ubuntu without KDE? It is nice and clean, navigation bar on the left, and someday I may want to use it, but now I am lost. I had just learned a bit of navigation in the blue, big stylized circles, plasma desktop and I cannot find my way around anymore. Do I have to re-install KUBUNTU to get it back, or is there a way to switch back?
    Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

No. On the login screen in which you put your name and password is a button on the lower left of the dialog GUI. It allows you to select from the installed DE's and defaults to the one you logged into previously.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

So I'm guessing that from your shiny Kubuntu, you installed the package ubuntu-desktop, is that correct? Assuming yes, you still have KDE in all it's glory just waiting to be used.

During the installation process, you would have been asked whether you want to use KDM or GDM as your default display manager (basically, the login screen). If you think you'll use Gnome more frequently, you would choose GDM as your default. If you think you'll use KDE more frequently, you would choose to keep KDM as your default.

The default can always be changed later by modifying the /etc/X11/default-display-manager file. For KDM, the file should read /usr/bin/kdm; for GDM, the file should read /usr/sbin/gdm

You are saying that you are now using GDM as the login manager, which is why you see and are using the Gnome Desktop (Ubuntu). Just edit the file above (as root) and change the single entry from /usr/sbin/gdm to /usr/bin/kdm and save the file and then reboot. You will be presented with the KDM login screen. Should you want to use the Gnome Desktop, click on Session and select GNOME.
      Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 04, 2012, 06:19 PM.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Whew! Thanks guys. There it was on the log-in panel, with, in fact, lots of other choices. I will log a bit more flying hours before I test the others.
        again, thanks, I am having so many slap-head moments lately, my forehead is bruised.
        Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Comment

Originally posted by GranPaSmurf View Post
          Whew! Thanks guys. There it was on the log-in panel, with, in fact, lots of other choices. I will log a bit more flying hours before I test the others.
          again, thanks, I am having so many slap-head moments lately, my forehead is bruised.
          Maybe we can compare calluses sometime!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I will log a bit more flying hours before I test the others.

Comment

Working...
            X