Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I just choose 2 partitions for an install ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I just choose 2 partitions for an install ?

Hi all,
    I have been using Linux for around a year and a half or so but have always up to now just let the installer do it's thing without any intervention from me for the partitioning. I never bothered selecting a seperate partition for /home because I always do a fresh install every 6 months when the newer version is released and wanted a fresh home directory with fresh config and settings files along with the new install.

I am now, however in a different situation and I do need to manually partition as I want a dual boot with Win7 on my new pc but want to retain the 3rd partition, D: drive in windows speak, where 1st = system reserved, 2nd = C: drive, 3rd = D: drive (logical). I use the D drive for a lot of data and want to keep it that way as it will/should be accessible from within Linux. I know there can only be 4 partitions and am thinking that if I choose 1 partition for Swap and 1 partition for / and no others, it should be ok, am I correct about this?

Any replies greatly appreciated, thank you.

There can be many more than 4 partitions ... there can only be 4 "primary" partitions but via a technique of making one of them an "extended" partition, you can add any number of "logical" partitions.

Windows, at least in some versions, needs to be on a primary partition but everything else - data, Linux OSes, swap - can be on logical partitions. You can either use the partitioner during the Kubuntu install process, or use a Live CD and partition first, then sort out the install.

To be sure where you are starting from, boot the PC with a *buntu Live CD and run Konsole and post the output of
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

or, equally or better,
      Code:
      sudo parted -l
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

So can I just do as I asked above or not??

I dont want to start typing crap in the terminal just to get output like back in the 1970's, I know how many partitions there are without typing this or that and I dont need a live gparted disk either, I want to shrink my data partition from within windows and then choose just 2 partitions for Linux during the gui installer, 1 for swap and 1 for the rest. I know the amount of partitions there are and will shrink the correct one beforehand leaving a nice unused space for Linux. My question once again is will it install ok with just these 2 partitions chosen

Comment

Yes, it will.
          The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
            Yes, it will.
            thank you for your answer bsniadajewski

Comment

You can either use the partitioner during the Kubuntu install process, or use a Live CD and partition first, then sort out the install.

Comment

Working...
              X