This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xorg.conf problem

When I installed ubuntu on my other machine, the resolution was too low. I fixed it by changing the HorizSync and VertRefresh rates. When I installed kubuntu on this machine, the resolution was fine until today. So I tried to modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf the same way I did on the ubuntu box. However, on the kubuntu machine, there were no settings for horiz and vert rates. So I added them by hand (using the ubuntu machine's xorg.con). This, at least for now, seems to have fixed the problem. So why is there a difference in the two xorg.conf's? Is this normal or did something cause a change? Thanks.

john

Re: xorg.conf problem

Well, that may be hard to answer!

Did an upgrade cause it?

If you get the problem, please DON'T edit the file manually!

Run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"

And then choose "advanced" to be able to modify HorizSync and VertRefresh. (Somewhere in the end of the progress)

...Simply just click "enter" to the most of the questions! (But read them the first time!)

Hope it helps!

Comment

Thanks! After modifying the file by hand, I read somewhere that that was a bad idea. I couldn't quite understand why, but I didn't know how to do it properly. Thanks to your directions, I can give it a try. Thanks again.

john

Comment

I have been manually editing xorg.conf files since they were called xf86config (without even the "-4"). There is nothing wrong with doing it. The only thing you have to do is to follow the instructions at the top of the file about doing an extra dpkg-reconfigure after you finish. You do this so that you can record the md5sum of the changed file so that the next update to xorg.conf won't erase all your hard work. And even that isn't strictly necessary, because if the installer sees that the actual file has a different md5 sum than the one that's recorded, it will ask you what to do.

The only reason not to edit the file by hand is the fairly high probability (if you're as lousy a typist as I) that you will screw it up. That's why you start by backing up the file.

Comment

Yes, it helps. I have been manually editing the file by hand - with mixed results. It seems there is a breaking-in period with one of my machines - the one with the ati card. Usually I have some trouble now and again, but it works for long periods of time. So, no real complaints since it also happened also using zenwalk and mepis. Thanks.

john

Comment

There are helppers:

Kommander script/gui for fglrx video driver:
            fglrxKonf
            http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=43612

kX Generator is a utilitty to configure the X server:
            http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=39085

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts