This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XSession error message on startup

My wife just had to replace her PC, and flatly refuses to use GNOME as her desktop, so I installed Kubuntu 11.10 for her from a downloaded DVD. Everything seems to work OK apart from just one niggle on boot-up, which I'm at a loss to understand. This is a new installation (having nuked the Windows 7 installation and reformatted), I haven't *myself* done anything to any configuration files.

The problem is that BEFORE the login splash screen comes up, she gets a grey message box containing the following:

XSession: unable to launch " " X session --- " " not found; falling back to default session

The only option is to click "Okay" and then bootup proceeds as expected, with no apparent ill-effects from the error.

The PC is an eMachines EL1358G, with an AMD Athlonx2 220 dual core CPU, the graphics card is a GEForce 6150DE nforce 430, KDE v4.7.3 and Grub v0.97-29. 3GB of RAM, a 1TB hard drive with four partitions (/, /boot, /home and the swap space). Not sure what the DVD-RAM is but I don't think it's relevant.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Re: XSession error message on startup

Welcome to KFN.

See [solved] 4.6 upgrade not going well... for the (likely) cause and the (likely) solution.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: XSession error message on startup

Hmm. OK, I read the link (thanks) although I'm not entirely convinced - quoting from the final post in the thread to which you referred

"Thanks - I heard from someone running another distribution that apparently KDE 4.6 has a different session name than 4.5.x and earlier - and since I had kdm set to autologin it choked on the old session name, which no longer existed. Selecting the session manually solved the problem."

This poster was apparently doing an upgrade. There shouldn't have been any "old session name"?

But anyway, Pat does have it set to auto log her in, so I'll see about changing that and see whether the problem goes away. Thanks for the pointer.

Comment

Working...
      X