This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot install with Muon

I am trying to install Synergy and quicksynergy. I am in Muon Package Manager. I set the 'requested' column to 'install' and then clicked 'apply changes.' I get a message that says 'Another application seems to be using the package system at this time. You must close all other package managers before you will be able to install or remove any packages.'
    But there are no other packages being installed. I even restarted the computer, but I get the same result.
    This is my first attempt to install anything, so I am feeling my way along here.
    Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Re: cannot install with Muon

Hi
    what OS are you running?

I ran into the same message when Reconq wanted to install flash, but Muon worked to install Calligra, and it was closed, I did a restart to test it, of course this is Precise Kubu alpha so that kind of stuff happens.

woodsmoke

Comment

I am running Kubuntu 11.10.
      Just in case, I clicked 'check for updates' in Muon, it gets to 24% and hangs up. First time it gave me an error message about not being able to download a software, but not how to fix it.
      Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Comment

Try this - first, make sure any package manager such as Muon is closed, then open a terminal window, and enter:

Code:
        sudo apt-get install -f
        If that doesn't solve the problem, try:

Code:
        sudo dpkg --configure -a
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

The previous post suggestions should work but...

I have seen this too, I think if you wait the lock from another app will release as its typically time based and then it will work. Or if you do not want to wait reboot and try again.

Muon needs work.
          Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect

Code:
            sudo apt-get install -f
            If that doesn't solve the problem, try:

Code:
            sudo dpkg --configure -a
            I first did the 'sudo apt-get' and tried the update to Muon again, it still hung up. I entered 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' and wow, it got busy doing a lot of things. Then I restarted and tried again to update Muon. It still hangs up at 24%. I closed it and tried to install QuickSynergy since it was available ---so I choose install...it has now been hung up on 'installing' for over an hour.

Comment

Muon is nice ....but it is new and may have some quirks for some.

I always do my updates from the CLI with
              Code:
              sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
              if muon is not working for you you should install the venerable old synaptick ......it just works.

Code:
              sudo apt-get install synaptic
              yes it will pull in some gtk Gnome stuff but not that mutch.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
              X