This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem adding network switch to router

I have more wired connections than I have router ports so I have a cat 5 cable from my router to my network switch and plug the extra cables in to the switch. All worked fine until I decided to move my router to a more central place in the house for better more even wireless reception. So now I have router connected to telephone line with a cat 5 cable from the router to the network switch and a couple of PCs plugged into the network switch. This works fine for the other PC which runs Windows 7, and for my PC when dual booted into windows XP. However, when my PC runs Lucid, I cannot get it to recognise the internet connection though the network switch and the router. If I run a direct cat5 cable from my Lucid PC to the router that works fine. I suspect that my setup is not delivering an IP address to my Lucid PC. I know the cables and hardware are fine because my Lucid PC works fine when I dual boot it into Windows XP. Is there a configuration file I have to edit somewhere to tell Lucid it's talking to a router through a network switch ?

Re: problem adding network switch to router

Is your switch managed or dumb? An unmanaged switch should be mostly transparent to the network.

The fact that you're dual-booting shows us the hardware and cables are OK.

Start by doing these commands in a terminal and posting the output:

ifconfig
    route -n

If you're concerned about exposing your details, delete the MAC addresses.

Please Read Me

Comment

Re: problem adding network switch to router

The network switch is dumb. I did the commands suggested in a term window whilst directly connected to the router and then did the commands again connected via the network switch. The output was the same and my connection to the internet was fine. Looks like a Great Unsolved Mystery. But as it works now, I am going to quit while I'm ahead.

Comment

Working...
      X